praise song for my church band.

RiffKing24

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

Alright, mine prolly won't fit in the same song...which is prolly fine since a real God needs many hymns. I tried to go epic and recount the creation of the universe by Ghost Cheetah. I didn't deal directly with his creation of man, but I'll get there eventually...ghost cheetah willing:

Ghost Cheetah,

Protean ass kicking claw of once formless aggression

In your infancy, You skewered the wall of unending abyss

With the fang of your yearning for finitude and a reality

Upon which to unleash vengeance and thus to give yourself shape

Your dark visage of nothingness against nothingness did clash

Bringing forth substance and succession

Substance as such was a viscosity in your will,

Which became a hand through its containment

Both hand and a well, and substance became red

As the heat of your rage.

Thus of you blood, The first holy condensation of being,

Formed at once with you as being from abyssal nothing.

The interval of creation is naught but your will,

Your will, as succession.

(Steal Hammer Solo)

(Chicken Torture Solo)

(Nails on a chalkboard Solo)

In the beginning,

As being poured out from the abyssal vagina,

The bloody imprint of your fang of hatred for nothing,

Out came trees and earth, as fragments of

Skeletal abyss, accented code of a binary chaos,

Like the dice thrown for fate from the vaginal fold

Of fate

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by yeagermeister

These would be killer polka lyrics. All you need is an accordian solo!

Like this?:

Ghost Cheetah,

Protean ass kicking claw of once formless aggression

In your infancy, You skewered the wall of unending abyss

With the fang of your yearning for finitude and a reality

Upon which to unleash vengeance and thus to give yourself shape

Your dark visage of nothingness against nothingness did clash

Bringing forth substance and succession

Substance as such was a viscosity in your will,

Which became a hand through its containment

Both hand and a well, and substance became red

As the heat of your rage.

Thus of you blood, The first holy condensation of being,

Formed at once with you as being from abyssal nothing.

The interval of creation is naught but your will,

Your will, as succession.

(accordian solo)

(grown man crying solo)

(polka dance challenge solo)

In the beginning,

As being poured out from the abyssal vagina,

The bloody imprint of your fang of hatred for nothing,

Out came trees and earth, as fragments of

Skeletal abyss, accented code of a binary chaos,

Like the dice thrown for fate from the vaginal fold

Of fate

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

No cheetahs in my reply. take Christian critiques more seriously-they're the only ones who know what you're writing about, really.

i like your honesty, i like the idea.

whoever said get rid of the cliches (miry clay) is right. dig DEEPER.

it will honor your God who deserves nothing less.

• Members

Originally posted by amjuicer

No cheetahs in my reply. take Christian critiques more seriously-they're the only ones who know what you're writing about, really.

i like your honesty, i like the idea.

whoever said get rid of the cliches (miry clay) is right. dig DEEPER.

it will honor your God who deserves nothing less.

c'mon juice man, please don't make light of the divine host, ghost cheetah. he liveth in your heart too. do not forsake him. But I see what you're saying, only a christian could give the advice, "avoid cliches". Nice Call!

Originally posted by mmmiddle

Maybe you all think this is funny, but you should be very careful what you say. One day you will have to account for it.

then i guess Mary Poppins is in big trouble! i mean what the {censored} does supercalifragilisticexpialidocious mean?!

• Members

I think the song is good for a 14 year old. I think though that I would be more moved if you were praising some god that was more wrathful and less merciful...like a ghost cheetah with tanks for feet and bloody arms holding knives for teeth. This creature could route about like chewbacca in a tar filled pit, killing innocent peasants.

Post of the year! No, millenium!

:D

It's going in my sig!

• Members

RiffKing, couple of cents worth of advice for you (and I assure you that's all their worth).

I for one was not crazy about your song. I noticed everyone kept giving you credit for being 14 and I admit I think that's great. But overall I thought the song was kind of weak. However I thought your Cheetah song was freaking brilliant. Here's my theory. You wrote the song "All I need to say" for your youth group. You have an intended audience and you know who that audience is and it unfortunately places barriers on your creativity.

The Cheetah song you came up with to roll with the punches being thrown to you by pontiousplaymate. And it showed you really have some skill. No pressure. Just everyone in here joking about cheetahs and such.

I understand that a song for a youth group is going to have some constraints, but you seriously need to loosen up in your songwriting. That first one appears very stiff to me. I think you do a disservice to your own skill with it. Add some humor, some flair, whatever you need to do. If the youth group doesn't care for it, then don't worry, maybe they'll like the next one better. If you write a song like you wrote the cheetah song I can assure you one of your brothers or sisters in the group will like it. Let your personality shine through the song. I don't see any personality in "all I need to say". You're so weak the lord is so strong. Blah....if you're writing this song for the Lord then you're showing him a rerun. This is the one where Jack confuses what Chrissy says and hijinx ensues. (Sorry, I forgot...you're only 14 ;) )

It's not real expression. "they are weak but he is strong...yes Jesus loves me"...."footprints" etc. I know for a fact that's not what God means to you. You don't go through everyday life beating yourself up about how worthless you are in the eyes of God and if you did, you wouldn't be invited to many parties.

Sounds like I'm beating you up here, I'm not. I think you have a lot of potential and if you work with it by the time you're an old man like me and pontious you can have a real fine skill developed.

One other thing....I'll have to respectfully disagree with amjuicer's opinion on criticism from Christians. You should welcome all criticisms. We're talking about songwriting here, not religion. Impressing another Christian with a song about Christ is pretty easy, impressing another songwriter with a song about anything is a bit more of a task.

Couple of my favorite religious excerpts for inspiration! :)

"Don't wanna shoot nobody, don't wanna be shot,

Don't wanna buy nobody, don't wanna be bought.

Don't wanna bury nobody, don't wanna be buried,

Don't wanna marry nobody if they're already married.

But if you do right to me, baby,

I'll do right to you, too.

Ya got to do unto others

Like you'd have them, like you'd have them, do unto you." - Bob Dylan

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"There's a golden moon that shines up through the mist

And I know that your name can be on that list

There's no eye for an eye, there's no tooth for a tooth

I saw Judas Iscariot carrying John Wilkes Booth

He was down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

He was down there where the train goes slow

If you've lost all your hope, if you've lost all your faith

I know you can be cared for and I know you can be safe

And all the shamefuls and all of the whores

And even the soldier who pierced the side of the Lord

Is down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there where the train goes slow

Well, I've never asked forgiveness and I've never said a prayer

Never given of myself, never truly cared

I've left the ones who loved me and I'm still raising Cain

I've taken the low road and if you've done the same

Meet me down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there by the train

Down there where the train goes slow"

- Tom Waits

• Members

I think you should sing something like this in front of your whole church:

I want to fill you up

I want to fill you up with my love

My love is big and red

And it will fit you like a glove

I want to let it dribble down your cheeks

What was that saying Jesus said about the meek?

I want to fill you up

I want to fill you up with my love juice

Baaaaaaaaybeeeeeee.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

The Cheetah song you came up with to roll with the punches being thrown to you by pontiousplaymate. And it showed you really have some skill. No pressure. Just everyone in here joking about cheetahs and such.

No one rolls with my punches. I never miss and each one is sudden death. If you're lucky I just slap your head lopsided, and you ride the shortbus back and forth from the home to the public pool for the rest of your life.

• Members

This thread has got to win a prize. I mean Riffking started this thread in 2002, and has loooong since vanished from the forums.

I think everyone scared him away. However it's nice to see the usual suspects still here wanking off to their own delight:rolleyes:

• Members

I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...I'm a wanker...

Yes...you are. See, I can play the same game too.

• Members

Originally posted by Kachana

I don't really know anything about praise music and am not religious, but for what it's worth thise lyrics seem very heartfelt, and very mature for a 14 year old, nice one!

I agree. One question you might ponder in the years to come.

Why do Christian bands almost never create anything totally new? I mean, you're tapped in to the creative force of the universe right? Why don't all new music styles or even one or two burst out of the Christian music scene? My observation is that whatever new style comes along at first angers or discomfits the general public and then about ten years later, Christian bands appropriate that style in a watered down format.

Another question. I understand praise songs, but why are there never any songs like "You are so beautiful and I love you and you fill me with strong physical feelings and THANK YOU LORD for making this girl this way"? I mean, God's creation is good right? Why not praise it too. Why only ever praise Him?

Just my thoughts. Good writing, keep going.

Blackmail

• Members

really good questions, blackmail.

in my opinion most christian music is derivative and boring

1. for the same reason so much secular music is boring-that's what the people want, something comfortable and inane

2. alternative christian channels are just beginning to develop

3. praise and worship lyrics, by defintion, are made to focus the listener's attention on our Creator - anything too clever lyrically or different musically would detract from that. there's a fine line between inanity and integrity, and its easy to fall all over between the two.

for something closer to cutting edge, there is good christian music, it just won't generally be listened to in a praise/worship setting. a band that comes to mind is Switchfoot.

by defintion, a christian wouldn't write anything explicit glorifying the human body, unless they were sure the audience would be only married people. inferential treatments have been done. sooner or later, across that continuum, you would not end up with christian music, juct secular music from a christian perspective.

• Members

Why do Christian bands almost never create anything totally new? I mean, you're tapped in to the creative force of the universe right? Why don't all new music styles or even one or two burst out of the Christian music scene? My observation is that whatever new style comes along at first angers or discomfits the general public and then about ten years later, Christian bands appropriate that style in a watered down format.

You haven't heard Saviour Machine then, they've been around for over 10 years and there still is no secular band that can be compared with them.

• Members

Originally posted by Whitewashed

You haven't heard Saviour Machine then, they've been around for over 10 years and there still is no secular band that can be compared with them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll listen to Switchfoot and Saviour Machine and get back to you if I can. However, I'm sceptical. I've been around a long time and haven't heard anything before that changed my mind.

One exception (except that it is not really "contemporary christian" is good 'ol evangelical gospel. The spirit presence there is undeniable"

Blackmail

• Members

this is insane. i havent been to this site in forever. i came by on a whim looking at my favorites section and this is on the page. wow. well i gotta good laugh from our cheetah song. and man im embarrassed at the poor quality of the song i wrote. my writing style has changed a lot since then

Archived