MarshallAVT50...replaced speaker with a 12watt..so will i blow it?

MadSkillzMan

• Members

hey guys, excuse my ignorance..

so i scored a marshall AVT50 off ebay for 50$. Local pickup. Guy claimed his son screwed with the internals and it wouldnt work but intermittantly and blah blah blah

replaced the tube, and found the speaker was blown. all was well.

So i cam across another ebay listing of a pair of 1960s Oxford Alnico speakers, won it for 6$!

Speakers came. I A/B'd, decided which one i liked, and damn, does it sound good. not as good as a full blown tube amp, but still, i like the sound of this speaker.

So i look up the serial number, stupid me should have done that during the auction. Turns out its 4ohms, which is fine, but 12watts!

Now before iknew this, ive cranked this thing and never blew it. But now im paranoid i will, since the AVT is a 50watt amp. Upon further investigation, according to the SN's, these were used once in Fender twin reverbs, which id imagine isnt 50watts, but isnt obivously 12watts either.

So, what? am i going to blow this speaker if i crank it or what? or should i just not worry? i see lots of wattage postings around so now i have no idea

thanks in advance.

• Members

hey guys, excuse my ignorance..

so i scored a marshall AVT50 off ebay for 50$. Local pickup. Guy claimed his son screwed with the internals and it wouldnt work but intermittantly and blah blah blah

replaced the tube, and found the speaker was blown. all was well.

So i cam across another ebay listing of a pair of 1960s Oxford Alnico speakers, won it for 6$!

Speakers came. I A/B'd, decided which one i liked, and damn, does it sound good. not as good as a full blown tube amp, but still, i like the sound of this speaker.

So i look up the serial number, stupid me should have done that during the auction. Turns out its 4ohms, which is fine, but 12watts!

Now before iknew this, ive cranked this thing and never blew it. But now im paranoid i will, since the AVT is a 50watt amp. Upon further investigation, according to the SN's, these were used once in Fender twin reverbs, which id imagine isnt 50watts, but isnt obivously 12watts either.

So, what? am i going to blow this speaker if i crank it or what? or should i just not worry? i see lots of wattage postings around so now i have no idea

thanks in advance.

i wouldn;t crank it cuz i used to have one, and it sounded ok at low volumes but sounded like crap when cranked, i regretted buying it more than anything else, and my passion for finded better amplification has taken me to this forum,

i only used the clean channel cuz the overdrive was crap, i used a distortion pedal before i got rid of it

• Members

a better speaker could helped, the old one was quite harsh to go along the mush but there was only so much that it could do, but i wouldn crank it all the way cuz its a slightly bassyier amp, it actually moved alota air as it was designed to do, and that will stress the speakers more

what i would do since u got it for 50, id sell it for 250 at GC and all they do is test it at low volumes, id never scam a another buyer, but selling it to GC doesn't bother me

Archived