Tips on how to write an Opeth-ish song

fixxxer85

• Members

Hi, I'm interested in writing an Opeth kind of song... Something like the Moor or Godhead's Lament (Or Still Life in general)... I've been trying different things, but so far nothing comes close...

Any help will be highly appreciated, thanks!

• Members

I write a lot of my songs in similar tone and diction to how Opeth does, so maybe this can help a little. I start with one simple line, a common-ground type of feeling, and follow it up with a relation to what I'm writing about. The rest of the words work from the start to this point, then finishing if I have to. When I listen to Opeth's "To Bid You Farewell," the example I would draw would be the last two lines.

"Why can't you see that I tried?"

"When every tear I shed is for you?"

If you're talking about how to place your words as they do, what I find to be helpful (don't laugh) is a long time of silence and meditation before. I normally use pretty big words and stilted language when I talk and write, but this time also gets me to use words in ways I normally would not use them, like describing something with an out-of-place word that enriches the meaning of the song.

Hope I've been of some help.

• Members

I think the best suggestion I can give is to learn as many of their songs on guitar as you can. Live and breathe the music, because if you don't, it'll become a chore. In any case, it should come naturally, or it probably wasn't meant to be.

But if you decide to try it, learning the songs will open up new ideas. You'll discover the little things that make Opeth different, and you'll see certain patterns, techniques and harmonies more visually. And unless you have perfect pitch and a great memory, that's probably going to be the most important thing that'll help you along.

Older opeth is quite a different beast than the mid era or newer stuff. They all have their unique points and styles. It seems you dig the Still Life stuff. As a sweeping generalization of the album in terms of style, here's some pointers:

-Dissonant riffing with layers of melodic lead guitars, creating a sort of beatiful tonality above the chaotic atonality.

-Contrast. Heavy to soft. Crushing riffs followed by layered tapestries of melody. Many invetive key changes, always preceded by a great transition riff/lick. Single note riffs followed by chord progression.

-Lack of fear. Don't be afraid to use riffs you may think aren't metal enough, or are too weird. Work with them. You'd be surprised how much a second guitar playing a complementing, or even totally different riff can sound.

Of course all of this is very general, and it takes much more than a few points like this to create music like Opeth does. This is all just things I've noticed through my listening/learning.

Good luck, hopefully one day you'll be creating music of that quality, I could certainly use some more music of Still Life's quality in my life!

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

For the sake of precision: Opeth is not atonal.

Not totally, but they do contrast their melodic parts with more rhythmic and somewhat atonal riffing. And that's what makes it sound good. Chaos followed by resolution.

Take Serenity Painted Death's chorus-not exactly the most tonal music ever composed, though maybe not atonal in the fullest essence.

Or the cool 10/8 riff in the middle of The Drapery Falls (I think 3 riffs prior to the acoustic section with Steve and Mike doing vocals).

Archived