PRS #7 pickups?

jlb32

• Members

How aggressive sounding are they? Good enough for heavy rock/metal? What pickups would you compare them with?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm thinking of picking up a used PRS and have never owned one with the #7 pickups.

• Members

Yes, they're a more traditional pickup. That said, they're great sounding and I will gladly use them for metal. They sound great clean or lightly overdriven as well. Lead tones sing through them. They're well balanced through all the highs and lows in my PRS Singlecut. They're high output without sounding overdriven. I have absolutely no complaints. If I were into the fizzy-SS-amp-with-gain-on-10 sound, I'd go with something else.

• Members

How aggressive sounding are they? Good enough for heavy rock/metal? What pickups would you compare them with?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm thinking of picking up a used PRS and have never owned one with the #7 pickups.

Not very aggressive sounding at all. Best suited for classic '70s rock. They are a slightly overwound PAF style clone. The SD Alnico II or Pearly Gates would be a good comparison for output only. I found the #7 to be too dark, bassy (especially the bridge). Everything sounded way too muddy and undefined for my tastes. For hard rock or metal you're much better off with the Tremonti set or Vintage Bass/HFS set.

• Members

Not very aggressive sounding at all. Best suited for classic '70s rock. They are a slightly overwound PAF style clone. The SD Alnico II or Pearly Gates would be a good comparison for output only. I found the #7 to be too dark, bassy (especially the bridge). Everything sounded way too muddy and undefined for my tastes. For hard rock or metal you're much better off with the Tremonti set or Vintage Bass/HFS set.

Yeah, I would probably prefer the HFS or the Tremonti pickups. I was hoping the #7 would be more aggressive though. I hate to spend that type of money on a PRS and still have to change the pickups. I'll have to think about it a little more now.

• Members

Nickelback uses Singlecuts with PRS #7 pickups.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J9eN5h2V7qA&mode=related&search=

The bridge does sound too middy sometimes.

• Members

Im sure he does. I can nail his tone with My Mesa Recto.

I own a Singlecut with #7s

Cool. I'm not a big fan of Nickleback but I do like their tone.

How do you like the #7's for heavier music? Any good for harder metal in your opinion?

• Members

I have a Duncan JB in my Singlecut now. AMAZING pickup with that guitar. I'll never take it out.

I beat the JB does sound good in there.

Ok, next question. What's a good price for a PRS singlecut with a 10 top and birds? Really good shape, not mint though. See thru black.

• Members

I beat the JB does sound good in there.

Ok, next question. What's a good price for a PRS singlecut with a 10 top and birds? Really good shape, not mint though. See thru black.

I think bout $1600-$1800 on ebay. I got mine in a trade for gear worth around $1200. :thu:

shadowsct.jpg

• Members

I think bout $1600-$1800 on ebay. I got mine in a trade for gear worth around $1200.
:thu:

shadowsct.jpg

Nice deal. Looks really good. Are the PRS Singlecuts as good as people claim them to be? Worth the money in your opinion?

• Members

Nice deal. Looks really good. Are the PRS Singlecuts as good as people claim them to be? Worth the money in your opinion?

They're worth more IMHO. It's the best sounding guitar i've ever heard. The only thing that comes close is my Standard 24 and a '73 Gibson 335TD i played a while back. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had them in a Czech made Epi Les Paul. I really liked them a lot, the guy who installed them said they sounded very clear and articulate and said they stayed clear and tight under gain like an EMG 81 (what he normally played). Not super high output, but much hotter and brighter than the vintage Schaller pickups that was originally in the Epi.

• Members

Real good pickups but not incredibly hot or really articulate for really fast stop and go stuff. Nice for power chords and arpeggio type stuff and a lot of that depends of course on your amp. You might not find "better" just "different" and something different may be what you are seeking. I like them in my guitars but I have changed a couple of my singlecuts out and like them as well.

What amp and what type of tone are you chasing after? That may help me to help you better. The guitars and pickups are great though, no worries there.

I'm not really chasing any tone really. I like to try to create my own style but do like a good heavy distortion tone. I am mainly a rhythm player with some solo stuff but mainly just rhythm.

How heavy can the #7's get? What type of tone would you compare them to?

Mesa Mark IV and Mesa Trem-o-verb are my main amps. For quieter jamming I use my SS Peavey Bandit alot.

Archived