Who here uses RockBox?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I just stumbled on this today... http://www.rockbox.org/

Looks pretty interesting, you can reflash your iPod with different firmware that affects it's battery life and adds new functionality. It's open source, meaning it's free (and probably a tad buggy andor ugly:lol:) and will always stay free...

My iPod took a {censored} last week, or else I would have already installed this. Any forumites using this or similar? It doesn't just work on iPods by the way, it works for the Archos offerings as well as iRiver and a couple of the other heavy hitters besides Zune.

Someone should play hampster and try it out:thu:

• Members

i'd pop it into google (if you haven't already), since RockBox is a VERY well-known iPod modification. i believe it destroys the dependability on iTunes (you can load music on through Windows Explorer), adds more compatible formats, and you can essentially use it as a portable hard drive.

one of my roommates in college (all of a year and a half ago) had a old-ass Archos which was essentially crap, but had a large hard drive and was really cheap (he got it on eBay with, essentially a fatal software problem). so he loaded the RockBox firmware on it and he basically used it as a portable USB harddrive (which was very useful for him since he was a computer programmer and needed to carry that much info with him).

Archived