What amps did Night Ranger use?

LedZep1985

• Members

If I remember correctly they used Mesa Boogie MKIIB heads. Definately had great tones! Classic Boogie!

I can second that (since I'm the oldest closet NR Fanboy that I know) , BOOGIE GEAR all the way with NightRanger !!!!

Marks on the older stuff - I do believe one or both (Watson & Gillis) switched to rectifiers on the Last 1 or 2 NR albums.

Oh {censored} ! - now I'm "out of the closet" ........ DAMN !!!!

• Members
I can second that (since I'm the oldest closet NR Fanboy that I know) , BOOGIE GEAR all the way with NightRanger !!!!

Marks on the older stuff - I do believe one or both (Watson & Gillis) switched to rectifiers on the Last 1 or 2 NR albums.

Oh Shit ! - now I'm "out of the closet" ........ DAMN !!!!

I absolutely loved Dawn Patrol, but they were too poppy for me from the 2nd album on.

At night she sleeps
Is she dreaming of him, while she's making love to me
At night she sleeps
She keeps calling his name, imagine what it's doing to me
At night she sleeps...

Also, "Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight" now means something entirely different to me than when I was 16. :eek:

• Members

wow! never would have guessed Boogie?

Boogie all the way, I can tell right away just listening to Brad Gillis solo work on the earlier albums, it has that signature singing Mark tone.

If you can find the instructional video Brad and Jeff did back in the 80's, they played through Mark III stacks on it from what I could tell, may be earlier version Mark though.

• Members

I absolutely loved Dawn Patrol, but they were too poppy for me from the 2nd album on.

Know what you mean - like they were trying too hard to get another top ten 10 hit !!

I think Jack Blades sang way too much in that band - 99% of the NR songs I like the Drummer (whatshisname) sang them !

• Members

Boogie eh? I would have sworn old Super Lead 100-watt Marshalls... Their tone was definitely amazing. Maybe I do want a Boogie after all. Do the new ones sound like that or do I need to find an old one? My desktop Wallpaper is a RoadKing II ;) Back in the 70's I had Marshall - now I play in the bedroom so I'm using an old 5-watt tuber & 15 watt tuber or I use my old Roland SS with a Zoom pedal. Can the Boogies sound good in the bedroom or do they need to be "cranked"... With my Marshall 100-watter I used a Sholtz Power Soak for "Apartment" practicing - so I could do an Attenuator if necessary - Do any of the Boogies sound good at lower volumes?

• Members

Boogie eh? I would have sworn old Super Lead 100-watt Marshalls... Their tone was definitely amazing. Maybe I do want a Boogie after all. Do the new ones sound like that or do I need to find an old one? My desktop Wallpaper is a RoadKing II
;)
Back in the 70's I had Marshall - now I play in the bedroom so I'm using an old 5-watt tuber & 15 watt tuber or I use my old Roland SS with a Zoom pedal. Can the Boogies sound good in the bedroom or do they need to be "cranked"... With my Marshall 100-watter I used a Sholtz Power Soak for "Apartment" practicing - so I could do an Attenuator if necessary - Do any of the Boogies sound good at lower volumes?

Depends on the model, the Mark series sound quite good at low volume no attenuator needed :)

• Members

Big NR fan here. Oddly I didn't love there tone(I was more of an eddy tone guy) but the writing was top notch, and the solo's were awesome. They could really show off there muscle while fitting the song. That was rare, and is even more so now a days. Tell me that solo to Sister christian wasn't just a perfect fit for the song.

• Members

The entire band was great. Jack Blades and Kelly Keagy are both excellent singers, with Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson on guitars. Alan Fitzgerald help keep things together with his keyboards, especially on "Sister Christian", "Call My Name". The songs where Gillis and Watson's solos shine are "Don't Tell Me You Love Me", and "You Can Still Rock in America". Another really good Gillis solo is on "Sentimental Street". Unfortunately most people that aren't Night Ranger fans make fun of them because they only know of "Sister Christian", and deem it a bad 80's song.

Archived