Anyone interested in a Marshall 9000 preamp for $50?

zac503

• Members

9000 is the series of preamps and power amps, like JCM800 or JCM900.

The 9001 has three valves. The rest of the 900x preamps, like the one on craigslist, are solid state.

That's right. I used to know a lot about them but that was years ago. Marshall had some weird model designations with that line.

• Members

:confused:

I dont know about the 9004, but the 9001 sounds like Black Sabbath. (Tony Iommi used the 9001 and 9005 power amp.)

I think boosted yes it can (the low end cut would help as the 9001 is voiced very low mid range).

So in my experience of the 9001 with a SD-1 yes you could, but I have never played through a 9004. This is under the presumption that the 9004 is voiced the same as the 9001.

• Members

I dont know about the 9004, but the 9001 sounds like Black Sabbath. (Tony Iommi used the 9001 and 9005 power amp.)

I think boosted yes it can (the low end cut would help as the 9001 is voiced very low mid range).

So in my experience of the 9001 with a SD-1 yes you could, but I have never played through a 9004. This is under the presumption that the 9004 is voiced the same as the 9001.

The one for sale is a 9000. I can't find much on it. The guy wants 20 bucks to ship it to me, making my total cost $70 shipped. Is this still a good deal? Like I said, I can't find hardly anything on the "9000".

• Members

The one for sale is a 9000. I can't find much on it. The guy wants 20 bucks to ship it to me, making my total cost $70 shipped. Is this still a good deal? Like I said, I can't find hardly anything on the "9000".

Dude, it's a 9004, see my previous post about 9000.

I haven't played one for so long that I can't give you an accurate report on it. As far as I can recall it did that '89 solid state gain thing like the Peavey's but not the dual uber gain ones. I've heard you make solid state work before, so for 35 quid it aint that much of a hit if you hate it. Run it through a valve amp and boosted you may get some good usable metal.

Now I'm thinking about it it was not to bad as 80's solid state goes. Probably more like ACDC levels of gain.

• Members

Its a 9004 the group of amps is the 9000 series, this is a 9001 tube pre

9004 solid state and 9005 power amp.

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

But for $50 I would go for it.

(they still go for

Archived