Your preference as a songwriter; McCartney or Lennon?

Taylorman

• Members

Originally posted by Sherinian gonnabe

Also, has anyone else realised that at 60, Paul can still pitch almost all the songs he sang as a 20-something year old live, and always while playing an instrument (keeps hopping from bass to guitars to pianos to ukuleles) with relative ease? I can think of few other men alive who can manage that.

Lennon had balls.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I, too, think Paul deserves every bit of credit he gets as a vocalist. He hits high notes with seeming ease, can be endearing, depressing, uplifting, funny and realistic all at the same time simply by changing his incredible versatile voice to fit the track in question.

And if you can play and/or sing over three hours worth of Beatles material, you're my hero.

I grew up with Paul as my hero, and as a result I learned the entire Beatles catalog growing up (even though I'm actually a child of the 70's). First I learned all the piano parts (the first instrument I learned), and then the guitar, and finally bass, when I picked it up in high school.

I've spent the last 15 years playing in a trio with guys just slightly older than I, both of whom are also big Beatles fans and as a result, we have a HUGE collection of Beatles tunes on our playlist. It has never taken much to get us into "Beatles Marathon" mode.

Back in the early 90's Paul came to Kansas City on tour, and as a lifelong worshipper, I of course HAD to attend. That was the best sounding concert I think I've ever been to. More full sounding than anything else I've heard, and managed to do it without being ear shatteringly loud.

For his final encore, he said, "I haven't played this song in about 30 years," and proceeded to play "Kansas City", which got the biggest ovation I've ever heard.

• Members

John Lennon. Macca's a {censored} and it shows in his music. That said, best thing he ever wrote was Eleanor Rigby. Or at least I thought so, last time I was high.

He still Rocks though, saw him twice last year.:cool:

• Members

I must say your maturity shines through incredibly in posts like this one.

I must say your sarcasm shines through incredibly in posts like this one.

:D

• Members

Paul ,in my opinion, was definately far more musical than john. They were not even in the same league. However your question was about their ability to write.

John seems to be a more fiery personality, always having a bone to pick with something, more of a political/rebellious type. Paul, on the other hand, strikes me as a very pure musician. For him it was, and still is, always about the music.

For me to pick a favorite, though, is like asking what do I like better a spoon or a fork.

• Members

Originally posted by shmulli

Paul ,in my opinion, was definately far more musical than john. They were not even in the same league. However your question was about their ability to write.

John seems to be a more fiery personality, always having a bone to pick with something, more of a political/rebellious type. Paul, on the other hand, strikes me as a very pure musician. For him it was, and still is, always about the music.

For me to pick a favorite, though, is like asking what do I like better a spoon or a fork.

listen to plastic ono band. no...better yet, mind games.

lennon had skills, soul, and balls.

• Members

Musicianship is not the question here. Paul is, believe it or not, a middling musician. He's a great POP musician, but I don't think that means much. Lennon could write circles around McCartney, be it biting politics, etc. or just a great hook.

And that's what matters in pop music.

• Members

just for what it's worth, there is no 'hands down' here...

you can call it a matter of opinion or whatever, but the fact is that only a true fan who has listened to and analyzed every album lyrically and musically can even come close to saying who has the EDGE, much less anything about "hands down."

yes, I have an opinion, that I think lennon has the SLIGHT EDGE, because i prefer his lyrics and his unconventional approach, but to say anything disparaging towards mccartney is just ridiculous, as he will be remembered as being a very important part of a musical event that will be remembered hundreds of years to come, or more.

mccartney rocks.

• Members

Originally posted by ClusterOne

just for what it's worth, there is no 'hands down' here...

you can call it a matter of opinion or whatever, but the fact is that only a true fan who has listened to and analyzed every album lyrically and musically can even come close to saying who has the EDGE, much less anything about "hands down."

mccartney rocks.

I agree with what you have to say, but if you're referring to the first post I made, notice that I only said "I take McCartney, hands down." Not "McCartney is the best and John can not write songs" like a lot of people have done as if stating a fact (normally the other way around, though...crazy John fans seem to share his rebellious spirit :D ).

And yes, McCartney does indeed ROCK.

• Members

Originally posted by ClusterOne

haha, no no...for some reason I coulda swore that the last poster before me said something about hands down, but he just said that mccartney is not even in the same league, which is just ridiculous.

Nice to see someone who appreciates both of the great men. It's pretty rare here on HC.

• Members

IMO, trying to decide between Lennon & McCartney as the better songwriter is like trying to compare apples and oranges. Although they both came from similar backgrounds and both shared the same influences and idols, I have always considered them to be in two different categories. All four of the Beatles for that matter had different styles... John was a rocker, Paul - a pop artist, Ringo - definitely country, and George - a sort of blend with a leaning toward blues. IMO, George was the most talented instrumentally. But as for the better songwriter between John and Paul, it's a coin toss. Paul could create powerful imagery with his beautiful ballads, and had a gift for composition and arrangements. John on the contrary with his raw, un-polished style was a master at delivering a message.

I believe the two of them wrote songs for completly different reasons and probably for completely different audiences. It just depends which audience you are in as to who you think is the better. It's the mix of style and talent from all four members that gave the Beatles such world-wide appeal... IMO

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well...not to sound ambivilent, but, I like them both for different reasons. PM was more traditional in his compositions and JL was more toward pushing the envelope (I heard once it was because of dislexia that he came up with so many "out there" lyrics, but I have no confirmation). Quiet as it's kept, I think George Harrison wrote more meaningful and timeless lyrics (All Things Must Pass, Something, even as far back as Think For Yourself).

The way I see it, The Stones have been the greatest Rock'n'Roll band, but The Beatles transended Rock'n'Roll.

Crunch

• Members

This is a tough one. My original thought (before reading any replies) was Lennon, better lyrics and feel... McCartney, better musician and music that was geared for radio. Thinking about it further though, McCartney never really stopped writing and recording, and just put out great music. Lennon had lots of time off, but then put out Double Fantasy which had (in my opinion) some really great stuff (and I'm not talking about the Ono contribs). So, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a conclusion.

• Members

Well, they are both genius pop writers...but when I think of the greatest songs ever written, I think of: A Day In The Life, Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields Forever, Rain, I'm Only Sleeping, I'm So Tired, Cry Baby Cry, Imagine, God....all John Lennon songs. So....my vote is for Lennon.

Egg

Archived