Ampeg 4x12's: Are they any good?

khastra_ksc

• Members

some are good, some aren't....which models are you looking at? my V-412TL came equipped with Ampeg/Celestion G12Ls, which are ok, but i wasn't really a fan. there are some that come stock with Celestion G12T75s also. i have a pair of Celestion CL80s and a pair of Warehouse CL80 clones in mine, and it sounds good. construction-wise, it's basically the same as a Marshall 1960A.

• Members

well, just curious all around about the build. I would probably put my own speakers in 'em.

Are they comparable to the marshall 1960a? like, if I put 2 next to eachother with the same speakers... Which would come out on top?

i doubt they would be that much different.

• Members

some are good, some aren't....which models are you looking at? my V-412TL came equipped with Ampeg/Celestion G12Ls, which are ok, but i wasn't really a fan. there are some that come stock with Celestion G12T75s also. i have a pair of Celestion CL80s and a pair of Warehouse CL80 clones in mine, and it sounds good. construction-wise, it's basically the same as a Marshall 1960A.

The cheaper models, the v412, is loaded with SLM speakers, which are the same as some make of Crate speaker. The ones that are Celestion loaded have a small badge in the lower right corner of the cab, marking them as such.

The cabs themselves, however, are pretty much the same, construction wise. Evidence is that my v412 has a small square in the corner of the lower right speaker hole;

S3010002.jpg

As seen with flash; which would have been what the badge would have been attached to, if it was one of the v412-TLs. Solidly built cab, though.

• Members

This is my jack plate;

S3010003.jpg

Interesting that your jack is similar to a BV cab; well, not really interesting. Crate and Ampeg are both owned by St. Louis Music, so it would follow that they'd probably just change the logo and use the same plates cross-companies.

• Members

yeah, i've noticed that in your pics before. i think the main differences are in the jack plates and the stock speakers. the jack plate on mine is basically the same as the one on my friend's Blue Voodoo 4x12, it looks like this:

V-412TL-back-close.jpg

and from the front:

V-412TL-front.jpg

How does it sound on top of that g flex

• Members

The cheaper models, the v412, is loaded with SLM speakers, which are the same as some make of Crate speaker. The ones that are Celestion loaded have a small badge in the lower right corner of the cab, marking them as such.

The cabs themselves, however, are pretty much the same, construction wise. Evidence is that my v412 has a small square in the corner of the lower right speaker hole;

S3010002.jpg

As seen with flash; which would have been what the badge would have been attached to, if it was one of the v412-TLs. Solidly built cab, though.

Funny...back before I knew anything...I bought my first 4x12...a POS Crate...and it has the exact same "square" in the exact same place...with the exact same rear input jack....particle board sonofabitch...

Makes a great TV stand though...

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I had an older 70's Plywood built V2 cab that was as solid as a tank. No back panel, the speakers were front load. They came with unmarked Eminance speakers with the black magnets found in all kinds of gear back then. I swapped them out for a set of Altecs and the thing would peel the paint off the walls.

I'm pretty sure those MDF cabs were loaded with 50W Eminence-Ampeg designed speakers or at least something comparable. They aren't bad speakers. I actually have some in my old black faced Peavey cab. You could do better with an upgrade but its not something you have to do day one. You can wait till you hear the cab then decide where you want to go based on the results you hear. It may sound great stock for your needs.

Archived