::vocals::intonation::breaths::help::

krp312

• Members

i've been singing (trying to sing) for 2 years now... i've noticed considerable improvement but i wish to improve more.. i never really practiced, i just sang whenever i had to (in my band).

if anyone knows what the deal is with singing, please give me some FAQ-style info... on breath conservation, improving intonation, coming into your own style vocally, dynamics, vibrato, sustain, etc, etc... please... i need some help

• Members

First of all, the best way to improve your singing is to find a good voice teacher who can help you with some exercises to work on all the areas you're asking about. Nothing will help more than that. The hard part here is that some of the teacher out there are rather limited in the fact that they don't really understand Rock techniques like controlled screaming and such. that being said, if you can find one that will work with you on breathing and intonation exercises, you should notice quite a bit of improvement fairly quickly.

In the meantime, here are a couple of things you might try that should help. First of all make sure you get plenty of air to support the tone. Do this by doing what's called breathing from the diaphram, which simply means getting more air in by keeping you back more straight and shoulders back when you take in air, and breathe in deeply by makiing sure that that your diaphram (the muscle that seperates the lung cavity from your abdomen. YOu know you're doing this when breathing in causes your stomach to expand out. Then you will want to use that extra air by pushing more out when you sing...by using your abdomenal muscles to force the air out. Make sure your throat is relaxed, as tense muscled in that area will cause the sound to be strained, and will cause vocal fatigue more quickly.

By doing these things, you will notice that you sing with more volume, and if you manage to keep your throat relaxed, you'll probably notice that you're able to reach high notes easier, and will be able to sing for longer periods of time without fatigue.

All that being said, I reiterate that your best course of action is to work with a vocal coach, who can help you learn how to do these things, and quite a few other "tricks" that'll improve your singing. Good luck.

Archived