Marshall 1987x bright cap mod?

Neon Soul

• Members

I am looking at new amp options and am thinking of going in the classic route of a plexi.

I've been looking at the 1987x (wouldn't exactly need a full on 100w superlead for club gigs) but have heard bad things about it due to the bright cap and that nearly everyone and their mother is desoldering it.

Firstly, is it really that bad stock? What are the benefits of removing the bright cap?

Secondly,(since i'm an amp mod noob) what am I looking for and how would i go about removing it? Anyone got a diagram?

This will be my first proper tube amp so I would appreciate the advice.

(Even though it's fun, can some people help my dilemma while posting about bRoOOtAlS GaInNZZ so this doesn't turn into comedy central amp night. :lol: )

Cheers

• Members

I would recommend not buying the Marshall Reissue, and buying a Ceriatone copy. I think it would probably sound better right out of the box.

When I owned the 1959x I clipped the bright cap (I think it was c17, or c18) and while it did improve the sound a lot, I still wasnt completely satisfied. The best part about clipping the bright cap was it made the taper on Volume 1 much more even. Before the the mod, if you broughr up volume 1 even jsut hair past you, it would instantly shoot up in volume and sound waaaaay too bright. After the mod it was so much more managable. It was very easy too. You just find the cap you're looking for, and literally snip it out.

But I still think Ceriatone is a better choice. Not to mention, its cheaper. And probably sounds better.

• Members

Id email Nik at Ceriatone and see whats up. He can answer all your questions and I hear he responds quickly to emails.

Marshall Reissues are pretty lame IMO. And this comming from a guy who uses vintage Marshalls exclusively (for the most part anyways).

• Members

If I do go the ceriatone route I have one question.

If I get a master volume put on one of these monsters will that in turn be like an attenuator built in so I could make it break up but at low volumes or will it be a bit {censored}ter?

(Keep in mind I know feck all about tubes and have been working with SS so go easy)

Archived