How to write music for a hardcore band

punkmunky

• Members

Like since it's mostly screaming in my band, I dunno how to go about writing melody cuz the kid that does vocals can scream really well but he sucks at figuring out melodies he's never been in a band before. but since i've been playing awhile (51/2 years or so) and i'm finally in a band, i want to know how to go about writing so that my guitar stuff fits with his lyrics. what's hte best way to go about writing a song for this type of music.

• Members

dude........what i would do is to write the music first.....then put the vocals on in the end...... OR.......if you have a good vocal melody that goes with a good riff, keep it like that.......if the singer cant come up with a melody, make up one on yer gutiar and play it to him.....my opinion anyway.......

• Members

thats one of the hardest things to develop overnight....melodic sense...tell him rather than trying to write a melody that fits your music EXACTLY...to just think of say for instance... a verse melody...(write lyrics first that way he isnt just humming {censored}) and once he has a melody made up....track it to something...then listen to the music youve written and transpose it to key....have him relearn it in the key of whatever yall are playing the song in. sometimes its easier to just freestyle a melody and work it into a song than to listen to a riff and try to force one onto it...in my experience...only more experienced vocalists can do that...so give that method a shot and let me know how it works out for ya.

Chad M.

Archived