Peavey VTM-120 first impression

jnmartin

• Members

Just got my VTM 120 from Facing Failure over the weekend...

This thing is a pretty kick ass amp. I like it a lot more than the 5150 combo I used to own.

The gain sounds pretty nice on its own but enabling the two gain boost DIP switches along with the compression switch seemed to be the only way to really get enough gain for "modern metal" out of the box, and doing this made it too mushy to be of any use to me.

Using just built-in amplifier options I'd say you could play everything from classic rock to thrash, and sound loud and clear while doing so.

I used one of the gain switches along with an SD-1 as a boost out front and got a killer crunchy tone with just the right amount of gain and sustain for both my rhythm and lead playing. I don't really know what to compare it to for a reference tone but I haven't been this happy with a tone in all of my time playing guitar. Chugs, gallop picking, trem picking, solos, all had just the right amount of chunkiness and cut. :love::love:

The only real problem I had was how goddamn LOUD the thing is. I put the volume up to 3 and drowned out my drummer and the rest of my band on stage. The compression switch tames the volume while keeping most of the tone but it made the gain a little mushier as well. Without compression, the volume between 2 and 3 was comparable to my Transtube Supreme on 10.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase. Facing Failure did an IMMACULATE packing job and I would recommend anyone that thinks of buying anything from him, go right ahead. The amp was bubbled wrapped which was lined in cardboard, wrapped again, and then boxed. Not only that, but the UPS guys DIDN'T violate my package either. Not a dent to be found on the box. My only problem is how heavy the {censored}er is. I got used to the Transtube Supreme head I've been playing through, which seems to weigh maybe 30 lbs compared to the 60+ the VTM is. I got rid of my 5150 combo for how much of a fat {censored} it was, but this thing is definitely worth the trouble.

All in all I give this amp a couple of these guys :thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

(yes I wrote this like a 3rd graders book report on purpose)

peace guys, thanks Facing Failure :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the kind words, man. Glad you're digging it. If you decide to get a boost for it, the bad monkey is pretty much the {censored} with the peavey. turning up the 2nd low switch, the mid switch and one of the 2 hi switches really helps balance the eq as far as mush to gain ratio goes.

Play around with it, keep us posted on how you're digging it.

• Members

I have an SD-1 and a DOD 250 that I use depending on the type of guitar and music (SD-1 for the EMG loaded metal axes - a little too fizzy I'll admit; the 250 for single-coil loaded Strats :love:) but I'm thinking of picking up either one of those Maxon OD pedals or a "real" (Ibby-branded) Tube Screamer of some sort.

I'm pretty sure I have my settings the way I want them at this point. I will make clips at band practice tonight. :thu:

• Members

The amp is meant to be cranked the {censored} out of. I have both gain switches up, gain at six, and the rest of the dip switches off. At low volumes, I have my OD-808 engaged. But once you crank the {censored} out of it, a boost isn't even needed imo.

At first liked using the compression switch, but now I don't like it. I think it is ok for low volume playing, but that is about it.

Yeah the amp is a heavy mofo. So I just bought a replacement 5150 head cab and stuck the vtm chassis in it. About 25lbs lighter now lol.

• Members

the weight lies in the head cab? i just figured it was a heavy duty bastard.

i turned it up so loud it made me sick at one point, and that was with half of my cab working :freak: still didn't have the kind of gain i would have liked at high volume though

• Members

I have the VTM-60, and the first thing I did when I got it two weeks ago was remove the chassey to clean out 12 years of dust that had accumulated at the dude who I bought it froms house. In doing this, I tried lifting up the empty cab and holy {censored}!! it weighed as mush as a JCM 2000 or a dual rectifier on it's own! As for the volume, I play with the 60 on 4 if I'm miced, and 6 if I'm not at shows. I play in a hardcore band (think terror, madball, sick of it all, buried alive etc.) and I use both gain dip switches and both highs with the presence at 1. All in all I love it, but I just bought a dual rectifier on a whim this week so it's been pushed back to a backup amp for me when I'm on tour.

• Members

interesting... im thinking it might be worth keeping it in the headshell it came with, if it is built that solidly.

i just want to get out of work and out to practice tonight already so i can play it again... only chance i've had to rock on it was at a gig yesterday.

• Members

the weight lies in the head cab? i just figured it was a heavy duty bastard.

i turned it up so loud it made me sick at one point, and that was with half of my cab working
:freak:
still didn't have the kind of gain i would have liked at high volume though

The chassis is pretty heavy too because of those big ass transformers. but that head cab is pretty heavy.

Archived