How to replace speaker in Fender DRRI?

Solitary Shell

• Members

How old is yours? Mine is from the mid 1990's but the Jensen speaker and baffle complete piece, grill and all I replaced with one from a new 2004-2006 model since the Jensen sounded WAAAAY better than the Fender Eminence piece of crap it came with.

I'm at work now but the grill last night did not appear to be velcroed, it looked like the only way to remove the grill cloth was to unstaple it from the back? Maybe I'm not looking closely enough and it's a real tight fit?

• Members

You can get clip nuts which.....hard to explain..... they are a clip that sort of wraps around the edge of the board.... the edge on the other side of the board is threaded........ this way you can drill new holes for the Blues without going through the grillclothe...... the screws are like a shortie bolt that just goes into the threaded clip without sticking to far out....

Wow that was hard to explain.... I use these on my Marshall cabs and they actually ancor the speakers better I believe..... most Hardware store carry them

Carefull with those Blues they are only rated for 25watts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For future reference for others, as I found after TONS of research the info on this subject on the internet SUCKS!!!!

I took a pair of pliers, and it was remarkably easy to loosen every other screw to where they just spun in the hole doing so real careful so as not to bend the threads. Then I used a hammer to push the screw back towards the grill, and reached in the speaker hole with a pair of pliers to pull the loose screws out. The ones that were closest to the top and bottom were tough, but I successfully got them out without ruining the grill at all! I then easily bolted in my Blue and put the amp back together. WAY easier than I thought. Doubt I can ever get those back in though if I wanted to sell it. I'd probably just include the 4 and tell the buyer what I did. The 4 screws are plenty enough to hold the speaker in place. The screws once I removed them are real weird, too. Bet they would be real hard to replace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Awesome thread! I just finished replacing my stock DRRI speaker with a Celestion Greenback, and before I checked on here I was about to take a hack saw to those screws.

I got the replacement speaker thinking this would be a piece-of-cake 5-minute project. Then I realized I would have to take off the back panels. 5 more minutes. Then I realized the chassis needed to come off so I could get all the nuts unscrewed. Fifteen more minutes. Then I realized that there were 8 screws coming out of the baffle and only 4 holes in the Celestion. I almost lost it.

After reading this, I got the courage to push the screws out. I stretched the grill cloth for a few seconds, but then it tightened back up - good as new. :cool:

Thanks Solitary.

Archived