EMG 81(B)/85(N), which one do you use for rhythm and do you EQ your amp for it

laurens

• Members

Hi guys,

I need your comments again on the following. My LTD JH 600 has the common set up of EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I like to use the neck pick up for rhythm (85), but I find the 85 a bit too bassy. The 81 is a bit too thin for my taste, but it does have more clarity.

I'm still struggling for a compromise, I can use the bridge (81) for rhythm and add more bass to it via my amp settings (also via the resonance button, but I d rather not) or use the neck pick up (85) and reduce bass. I haven't found my ideal Metal sound yet, but the thing is that my amp is then set on the use for one pick up!

What pick up do you use for rhythm (neck or bridge and what is in it), did you alter anything or just EQ the amp? I'm looking for an agressive trash metal sound. Just want to hear your preferences and tips are welcome.

ps. I have my amp volume around 5-6 (out of 10), ultra gain 5-6 (OD1 channel), presence 9, treble 7-8, mids 6-7, bass 5-7, no tone shift or resonance engaged and a powerbrake THD hotplate to reduce 8db.

• Members

I would mirror Boogie666's sentiments! Swap the positions and see if you prefer that. There's more than likely the quick-connect system, so its an easy job. Prolly cost you a set of string maximum.

While we're here, how you finding that JH-600? Was thinking about splurging one of these days.

Jon

• Members

I would mirror Boogie666's sentiments! Swap the positions and see if you prefer that. There's more than likely the quick-connect system, so its an easy job. Prolly cost you a set of string maximum.

While we're here, how you finding that JH-600? Was thinking about splurging one of these days.

Jon

I really like it, overall quality is good. Very fast neck too. Compared to my Dean ML (a cheaper guitar), this was really a big upgrade. Like with everything else, try before you buy! Oh yeah, also check the model year. Mine has an original floyd rose and I believe they do Kahler in 2007.

• Members

another thing is that by putting the 81 in the neck position, it gets fattened up a bit if you ever want to use it.

and do the 18V mod. it helps A LOT.

+219840129401948

best thing i ever did regarding emgs

I put the 9v/18v switch into a push pull pot so I have 9v compression if i ever want it for whatever reason

• Members

Thx for the link. This is what EMG's site has to say:

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

So is it really noticable?

• Members

Thx for the link. This is what EMG's site has to say:

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts.
The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients.
This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

So is it really noticable?

Is it from 9v to 18v.....not really from 18v to 27v...is what they're saying.

You lose much of the compression many people hate about emgs, and get nicer high end and depth

• Members

I use the 85 in the bridge and run it at 18v. This boosts the front end of my Recto to get a nice tight tone, and great clear mids. I wish I had a recording interface to put up some clips. I love my Recto's tone, massive, clear and tight. Somethings usually not associated with a 3ch Recto

• Members

you can take 3 battery clips, and wire them together in a triangle so that the + of one goes to the - of the next, and then just plug 2 batteries into that and plug the whole assembly into the existing battery clip.

Ah I get it, that way the existing wiring doesn't have to be altered. Thanks man. Do you have a pic of how you did it in your guitar?

• Members

I prefer the 81 in the bridge sometimes, the 85 sometimes.

In general, for tight, percussive metal rhythms, I think hte 81 is better. THe 85 is a little too smooth and creamy for lack of a better way to put it. The 81 is a lot more precise and aggressive.

One of my guitars is WAAAAAY too bright with the 81 in the bridge, the other is fine, so I have an 85 in the bridge of one, and I like it a lot, but it lacks a little bit of that unmistakable 81 sound that's almost mechanically brutal when doing chugs. I dig it.

But these days I dont find myself doing the chugs as much as I used to so the 85 is interesting to play with too.

Oh, and the 81 works pretty well in the neck too, definitely not muddy!

One of my guitars is 81/81, and the other is 85/60

I play the guitar with the 85 in the bridge a lot more often. The 81 has a character about it that I like a lot, but all around the 85 works better for me. So it just depends on my mood.

Oh, and metal rhythm = bridge The only exception I can think of is Angel of Betrayal by Spiritual Beggars, and that's not really metal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnIlq-tWGs

That's more groove-sludge metal than death metal. Metal rhythm is usually bridge pickup.

• Members

To the previous post, thx man. I can relate to that.

Just checked my guitar and I can forget about the 18v mod. There is only room for one battery in the battery compartment, and I m not willing to hook up an extra battery if it means altering the body or parts (I want to retain my guitar as original as possible).

Archived