Dating a silvertone Amp?

Lonesomedave

• Members

How did you date a sixties silvertone amp?

I also have a 1481 but have no idea what year it is was made. The original speaker has been replaced. My serial number is 185 10110 and has a silver transformer marked P91F (looks original) . My baffle was changed from masonite to plywood when they replaced the speaker. So I dont know if the original was a round cut or the diamond shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance for your help-

Dave Toomey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • 12 years later...
  • Members

The amps were made by Dan electro in the 60's and as far as I know you cant date them like you would a fender using the Serial number. 

A 1471 amp only sold for 2 years so its either a 1961 to 1962 built amp

You could try and get the numbers off the pots but that's really not going to be very accurate.  Pots could be made years before the amps are manufactured but its worth investigating at least.  If the pots say 6640 and 6645. This the 1st 2 digits 66 means "1966" and the 40 or 45 means it was the 40th and 45th weeks of that year the pots were made.

Personally I'd just take an average and say it was bought in December 61.  They sold those amps in the Sears catalog and they weren't listed in the spring or summer catalogs, only in the Fall Christmas section when those catalogs came out during the 4th quarter of the year so the odds are it was bought for a Christmas present in December. 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hello, 

This is such a great thread! I'm working on cataloging my father's collection of amplifiers and it's a pretty daunting project because there are a lot of vintage pieces, and I'm out of my depth. I have a vintage Silvertone with serial number 185 10201. Any info you can provide in the short term is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Francesca

Archived