Alternative to Celestion Alnico Blue Speaker?

frankiej

• Members

Have a vox Ac15cc, the stock speakers are alright but i hear everyone saying that with a blue in them it is a vast improvement.

Only one problem is i dont have the cash to throw at one.

So im asking if you guys knew of any alternatives to the blue speaker, ive already been recommened the Eminence Red Fang and the Weber blue dog.

Or even maybe suggesting a darker sounding speaker since the amp can be a bit on the bright side for my tastes. Thanks.

• Members

I feel so good having the real deal in my vox cab. However, I've placed an order for a Valvetech Hayseed 30 and it's going to be loaded with two Weber blues. I'll have a real basis for comparison when the time to rolls around the have the Hayseed delivered.

could you let me know how they sound when you get it goin up?

itd be much appreciated.

• Members

Why not get the Ceramic version of the Weber Blue Dog. I have heard they are great speakers and they will be the cheapest of the lot that you are looking at....

rob from valvetech steered me away from those. I've never heard them in person, but he said they didn't really compare to alnico speakers.

• Members

I will, but there's a five month wait on the Hayseeds, so it will be a bit before I get it.

ouch, that is awhile but i probably wont do anything about the speaker thing until like next year. Right now im hooked on buying effects and what not.

• Members

ouch, that is awhile but i probably wont do anything about the speaker thing until like next year. Right now im hooked on buying effects and what not.

Yeah, I'm hoping he gets ahead of schedule and I don't actually end up waiting that long, but I've put down my deposit, and I'm severely excited. when I get it, i'm sure I'll put some clips of it, and compare it to my AC30cc. I'm sure I could even do some clips comparing the two different blues with the same guitar and amp and really demonstrate how similar or different they are.

• Members

the compression comes from the magnet and various other parts of the celestion blue. i heard webers is a close but not exact representation of it, and its a hell of a lot cheaper. you can also choose the wattage rating, and all for the same price. the ceramic mag speaker will not have the compression but will be punchier per se.

• Members

Yeah, I'm hoping he gets ahead of schedule and I don't actually end up waiting that long, but I've put down my deposit, and I'm severely excited. when I get it, i'm sure I'll put some clips of it, and compare it to my AC30cc. I'm sure I could even do some clips comparing the two different blues with the same guitar and amp and really demonstrate how similar or different they are.

nice nice sounds like a good time, ill be looking foward to it.

• Members

rob from valvetech steered me away from those. I've never heard them in person, but he said they didn't really compare to alnico speakers.

...Interesting, I have heard great things about the ceramic magnet versions, but not many people are putting them in place of an Alnico Magnet Blue dog in an AC30.

We are looking for cheap alternatives, but with the price of Alnico, its hard to find those.

There is a pretty cool comparison clip on the gear page of a V30, G12H30 and Celestion Alnico Gold. One person thought the G12H30 was pretty darn close to an Alnico Gold, just with a different breakup and compression. I am not sure I am buying it though as I hear more difference than that with my Vox AC30CC1 with Alnico Gold and with my Vox V212BN with G12H30's....

• Members

could you let me know how they sound when you get it goin up?

itd be much appreciated.

theyre a little similar to the celestion, but much warmer and tame at lower volumes. i prefer the celestions greatly for rock. they sound like two different speakers to me. the weber may be better for jazz, but thats about it, to my ears. they dont have that "crack" and chime the celestions do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thread resuscitation time! I've been spending the day trying out a Weber Silver Bell in a Ceriatone dc30 1x12" setup. The speaker's not bad but it doesn't compare to the Celestion Blue I had in the AC15 I sold.

Personally the two 12" speakers i've liked most are both Jensens. The P12R is alnico and sounds great and the ceramic Jensen 12-70 in my Cornell Romany Plus is a fab speaker in Fender-type amps.

I'm going to get me a Hayseed 15 head and then have various cabinets. A five month wait? No worries!

• Members

Celestion's website says the V30 is the higher powered blue. (Then what's a gold?)

I really like the blue itself, though.

I thought the V30 was supposed to be a higher wattage greenback. Either way, the V30 sounds nothing like a blue, and really, how could it? There's no way to get that alnico tone with a ceramic. Not in my experience at least.

Archived