Peavey 6505 vs. Triple XXX for modern metal

vicknott

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531299&highlight=5150

I own both. I don't understand why some folks on here say that the XXX is looser than the 5150. I find the XXX to have a bit less sag and overall is a tighter, more articulate amp and better suited for precise Megadeth type thrash. I use the Crunch channel 90% of the time. The Ultra channel is not voiced much differently to my ears, but it feels somewhat more compressed and might have a touch more lows.

The cleans on the XXX are far better than that of either the 5150 or 5150 II. Perhaps the independent EQ accounts for as much of this as does the fact that the XXX is a true three channel amp.

I almost never use the 5150 Crunch channel for full on distortion. It's too dark and with the crunch button engaged and the gain up, it makes my 5150 cabinet fart really bad as the sound decays. I use the Crunch channel for overdrive crunch type sounds and for cleans with an EQ in the loop. I don't think the 5150 cleans are as bad as everyone says. It's just that the channel is so dark it has little punch or cut at all. A GE-7 takes care of this.

Now in a straight up distortion channel comparison between the two amps, I break it down like this: The 5150 has a more complex, fuller, and more aggresive sound when comparing the 5150 Lead channel to the XXX Crunch channel. I think the XXX is tighter and more articulate, making it better suited for stuff like Megadeth, Voivod, or Annnihilator type music. The 5150 is better suited for stuff like Carcass (obviously), Bolt Thrower and other types of death metal where razor sharp precision takes a slight back seat to lethal palm meted chugs, tremolo picking, and overall aggressiveness.

The XXXs greater clarity makes it better for Voivod type chordal dissonance.

I agree that the 5150 does have a more raw, angry sound, but with the right tubes and set up, the XXX can get into 5150 territory. I use the XXX more since it's a more versatile amp. I also have swapped out a lot of tubes both in the pre and post sections in both looking to maximize each amp.

Both have awesome distortion sounds. I'm also moving away from the 5150 cabs. I'm currently using a Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and a G12-H30. I hope to get a full sized Avatar 4x12 with the same sometime this year.

Archived