Tell me about the Peters Gryphon & Chimera

7 Stringer

• Members

I was set on a Cameron CCM-100 but with all the BS surounding them, i decided to let go.

Now the Peters Chimera got my attention, anybody have any experience with these? How doe it compare to the Gryphon?

What`s the gain LIke?

Clarity, tightness, mids focus?

How`s the Halo clean on these?

I might let go of my VHT UL to get one of these.

I`m basicly looking for the CCM-100 tone found on the infamous namm vids, that deep bassy crunchy tone. I want a modernised, heavier, Van Halen 1 kinda tone. I can hear it in my mind.

The closest i`ve heard was that damn Cameron CCM-100 vid.

Thanks for any input guys :thu:

Chris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned all kinds of {censored} man, VHT CLs, Mesa's, Laney's, Engl, Framus, whole plethora of marshalls, and nothing makes me smile like the chimera. Seriously man, if you need a clean channel, two channel chimera for the win all the way. I haven't got any new stuff up yet, but the first song on my myspace (sig) is the chimera with a gibson les paul with 57 classic pickups (no bull{censored}) running about 40% gain.

• Members

I've owned all kinds of {censored} man, VHT CLs, Mesa's, Laney's, Engl, Framus, whole plethora of marshalls, and nothing makes me smile like the chimera. Seriously man, if you need a clean channel, two channel chimera for the win all the way. I haven't got any new stuff up yet, but the first song on my myspace (sig) is the chimera with a gibson les paul with 57 classic pickups (no bull{censored}) running about 40% gain.

Thanks man, i`ll look at these later. I gotta run for a while.

Your fueling my gas, thank you!!!!!!!!!:)

Chris

• Members

Hunt down some clips of James' Warhawk, too. It's a channel design that sort of lives between the Gryphon and Chimera. James mentioned in a thread a few months back that he can/will still build them even though he doesn't advertise them specifically on his site anymore.

IMHO, it's a fantastic sounding design from the clips I've heard and based on your description it sounds like you are looking for similar sounds to what I dig. Unfortunately, I've never played one in person but it'd still be on my short list if I ever got/get spousal approval for a new amp. ;)

I think Deathmonkey actually has or had one.

• Members

Hi Chris,

There are only a handful of HC forum members with a Chimera or a Gryphon, and they usually don't post much. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get enough replies (or the sorts of replies you want based on your music preferences) to know enough about them.

I'd be glad to discuss the amps, and I can phone you if you want (my long distance plan covers all of Canada and the USA). You'll find I won't promote my amps unless I think they really suit your needs, so don't expect a "hard sell" approach.

If you'd like me to call, PM or email me your number. Thanks!

-James

• Members

The Peters Chimera is hands down, the best modern metal amp that I have ever played. Its got the tightest attack and the cleanest gain that I have ever heard. I know that sounds weird but the thing has more distortion than you could ever want but at the same time, you can clearly hear individual notes with great harmonic overtones. When I think Brutal and aggressive razor sharp rhythm chops, I think Chimera

That said, Im am not a modern metal player, not even a metal player really but just pluggin in and chuggin a few palm muted chords and faster stuff had me blown away. Im honestly really shocked that this amp hasnt found itself into more players hands but I blame that on James. He isnt a a marketing guy and I think that he does himself a bit of a diservice because he doesnt promote himself or his products as much as he should. I understand why because James just isnt that kind of guy but I could practically garuantee that If his amps were a bit more accesible, The Peters Chimera would be the go to amps for the Modern Metal community, its that friggin impressive and tailored to that sound..

That and the fact that James's build quality is second to none, His amps are playable works of art. He also has some of the coolest useable features that I have ever found on an amp in addition to having stellar customer service. I probably sound biased and I have to admit that I am, I consider James a friend but my review is honest and objective. My advice is call the dude and discuss your needs, hes a stand up straight shooter and will get you pointed in the right direction even if it means looking elsewhere..

I cant comment on the gryphon though.. good luck!!

Kage

• Members

I have a chimera, its good for brootalz and stuff, although it doesnt sound like a modded marshall in the vein of a cameron so Im not sure if you should look at the chimera. The gryphon is probably closer, i believe AIC's Dirt tone was the inspiration for that amp.

• Members

The guitarist in one of the bands I play in has the Chimera, and my buddy has the Gryphon.

I haven't played the Chimera myself but, from messing around with the Gryphon, I think it can be boosted into Chimera territory.

The guitarist in my band tends to scale the gain back on his Chimera which also sounds pretty good. So at that point, it might be a matter of the *type* of gain you like... not necessarily how much of it. Both are aweome at what they do!

One more thing about my buddy's Gryphon is that I absolutely LOVE its clean channel. I can get it into pseudo-Vox TB clean sounds with the right settings, without mucking up the gain channel's EQ either.

And I'm not just saying this because James is a buddy of mine. He tends to be a bit of a 'guitar hog' when we hang out so I never really got to try his amps out properly until my buddies bought them. ;)

• Members

The Peters Chimera is hands down, the best modern metal amp that I have ever played. Its got the tightest attack and the cleanest gain that I have ever heard. I know that sounds weird but the thing has more distortion than you could ever want but at the same time, you can clearly hear individual notes with great harmonic overtones. When I think Brutal and aggressive razor sharp rhythm chops, I think Chimera

That said, Im am not a modern metal player, not even a metal player really but just pluggin in and chuggin a few palm muted chords and faster stuff had me blown away. Im honestly really shocked that this amp hasnt found itself into more players hands but I blame that on James. He isnt a a marketing guy and I think that he does himself a bit of a diservice because he doesnt promote himself or his products as much as he should. I understand why because James just isnt that kind of guy but I could practically garuantee that If his amps were a bit more accesible, The Peters Chimera would be the go to amps for the Modern Metal community, its that friggin impressive and tailored to that sound..

That and the fact that James's build quality is second to none, His amps are playable works of art. He also has some of the coolest useable features that I have ever found on an amp in addition to having stellar customer service. I probably sound biased and I have to admit that I am, I consider James a friend but my review is honest and objective. My advice is call the dude and discuss your needs, hes a stand up straight shooter and will get you pointed in the right direction even if it means looking elsewhere..

I cant comment on the gryphon though.. good luck!!

Kage

Thanks a lot for the info.:thu:

I PM`d James and i now have a better idea of his amps. I think i`m gonna go for it, i`m putting my UL up for sale tonight.

Now i just gotta figure out between the two models. I think i`ll give him a call or leave him my number so we can talk more.

Chris

• Members

Also a big thanks to everybody that chimed in. But if anybody has anymore comments, please do tell. I want more comparisons between the two models.

I need opinions or i might have to buy both....LOL

Chris

James' kewlness factor knows no bounds. He's the best person to talk to about this. He won't BS you. And he has a gift for describing the nuances of tones. Talk to him on the phone. With that said;

I have both a Gryphon and a Chimera. I've had the Gryphon for a year, and it's the Dual version with the "Halo" Clean channel. I just got the single channel Chimera last week.

Clean Channel

If you have the extra cash, just get it and thank me later. Can do really sweet sounding clean tones. And it's GREAT for classic od tones with the gain up higher. A friend of mine plays stuff along the lines of Black Crowes, and he loves playing the amp like this.

Gryphon

This amp is all about teh Thick/Rich. One of the most unique amps I've ever played. It sounds so rich, but still has awesome clarity. Noseminer mentioned AIC, and I'd agree that it has a "Dirt" vibe about it. It has a lot of gain. It just has a bit more of a vintage feel than the Chimera. If you want it to sound more brewtal, you have to play the guitar that way. It won't do it itself. If ya know what I mean.

The clip in my sig is with the Boost Off, Gain at 1:00, Master around 8:00. The Damping control was not all the way up either (The Damping control makes the amp sound more aggressive). That should give you an idea of the gain/aggressiveness on tap. Keep in mind, those were Green Back speakers.

Chimera

This son of a bitch don't take no prisoners. It still has some warmth and vintagy response to it. But it just goes THWACK! You don't have to coax any aggressiveness out of this amp. It doesn't have as much of that cool Rich & Thick voicing of the Gryphon. It's more clear, and punchy. And boy, does it punch.

This amp brings teh brootels like no ones' business. 'Nuff said on that. If you want the amp for that, you'll love it. It still sounds good for Lower-Medium gain stuff though. Just expect it to sound very punchy. Doesn't have as much "give".

Differences

James put it best; Gryphon is like a kick to the gut. Chimera is like a kick to the teeth.

A note on Peters mAps

These amps really respond differently to different guitars, pickups, & playing styles. This is the understatement of the year. Don't expect a very compressed amp, like most other high gainers. These amps are not about the uber compression. I found myself swapping pickups and guitars around a lot, because of how much it affects the amp.

As simple as it looks, the controls are some of the best & most flexible I've heard on an amp. The descriptions on James' web site are spot on, with no exaggerations.

I hope this helps.

• Members

James' kewlness factor knows no bounds. He's the best person to talk to about this. He won't BS you. And he has a gift for describing the nuances of tones. Talk to him on the phone. With that said;

I have both a Gryphon and a Chimera. I've had the Gryphon for a year, and it's the Dual version with the "Halo" Clean channel. I just got the single channel Chimera last week.

Clean Channel

If you have the extra cash, just get it and thank me later. Can do really sweet sounding clean tones. And it's GREAT for classic od tones with the gain up higher. A friend of mine plays stuff along the lines of Black Crowes, and he loves playing the amp like this.

Gryphon

This amp is all about teh Thick/Rich. One of the most unique amps I've ever played. It sounds so rich, but still has awesome clarity. Noseminer mentioned AIC, and I'd agree that it has a "Dirt" vibe about it. It has a lot of gain. It just has a bit more of a vintage feel than the Chimera. If you want it to sound more brewtal, you have to play the guitar that way. It won't do it itself. If ya know what I mean.

The clip in my sig is with the Boost Off, Gain at 1:00, Master around 8:00. The Damping control was not all the way up either (The Damping control makes the amp sound more aggressive). That should give you an idea of the gain/aggressiveness on tap. Keep in mind, those were Green Back speakers.

Chimera

This son of a bitch don't take no prisoners. It still has some warmth and vintagy response to it. But it just goes THWACK! You don't have to coax any aggressiveness out of this amp. It doesn't have as much of that cool Rich & Thick voicing of the Gryphon. It's more clear, and punchy. And boy, does it punch.

This amp brings teh brootels like no ones' business. 'Nuff said on that. If you want the amp for that, you'll love it. It still sounds good for Lower-Medium gain stuff though. Just expect it to sound very punchy. Doesn't have as much "give".

Differences

James put it best; Gryphon is like a kick to the gut. Chimera is like a kick to the teeth.

A note on Peters mAps

These amps really respond differently to different guitars, pickups, & playing styles. This is the understatement of the year. Don't expect a very compressed amp, like most other high gainers. These amps are not about the uber compression. I found myself swapping pickups and guitars around a lot, because of how much it affects the amp.

As simple as it looks, the controls are some of the best & most flexible I've heard on an amp. The descriptions on James' web site are spot on, with no exaggerations.

I hope this helps.

God damn, that`s what i want to hear :love:

I`m really set on getting one. Wich model do you think can get closer to one another?

And how does the loop sound, i mean does it color the tone or change the character of the amp at all, and does it go well with pedals?

Also, what speakers go well with his amps? I gotta get me a greenback loaded cab soon.

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

Also, what speakers go well with his amps? I gotta get me a greenback loaded cab soon.

The controls are designed to work well to accommodate different cabs and speakers. Especially the Power Amp controls. That's what they are meant for.

I've only really had experience with GreenBacks and V30's with these amps. GB's for more warmth & woodiness. V30's for more aggression and punch. I've been loving how GB's sound with both of the amps in my Avatar 2X12. YMMV.

• Members

There is not a bad thing in the world that can be said about James and the way he runs his business.

He's one of the classiest guys ever to grace these forums and is a true master.

You should have 0 hesitation putting your trust in him.

Generally, I know he feels that people really underestimate how heavy most of his amps can get, but he'll get you on the phone and talk you through to the right choice for sure.

• Members

What kind of tones are you looking to get? What kind of player are you? What do you have now, and how do you set it up? Etc,...BUT,....

I`m looking for this tone:

[YOUTUBE]1K01XFUTIhA[/YOUTUBE]

I`m a mainly metal player:"Pantera, Slayer, Children Of Bodom, Killswitch Engage, Testament", but i also play some: "Joe Satriani, Blues Saraceno, Guns 'n Roses, Whitesnake." I`m in that tight Marshally groal crunch with tight bass and sweet mids and highs. I don`t use a boat load of gain, it has to be clear and tight.

And this is my setup:

Picture020.jpg

:thu:

Thanks a lot for your comments, i`m reaserching hard on these amps.

Chris

• Members

I played my Ibanez 7 string through Noseminer's Chimera and it was great. Super tight low end and had fast attack. The voicing knob (I'm not sure what James calls it) adjusts the voicing and the attack. This amp seemed ideal for playing fast riffs on the low B and low E. It had a very clean sounding gain. Maybe a little different from what the ccm seems to be doing in the vids.

Having said that it gave me gas to try to Gryphon.

• Members

I've also been interested in James' amps since he first made them available. The only clips I've heard were the ones on the site, but I honestly didn't like them that much. But, I never really trust clips.

I play mostly heavy stuff like Tool, APC, Killswitch Engage, and also like to play stuff like Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors, Grateful Dead.

I'm looking for a new high-gainer and amps I'm considering are Diezel Herbert, Splawn Nitro, Mako, Bogner Uberschall, VHT D120 or Sig X, and anything else I come upon.

I need an amp with a fast attack/response/tracking but that still sounds warm, organic, open, and uncompressed. I hate crunchyness. I need a punchy low end, grind/growling mid, and a warm/smooth top end. It's a hard combination since warm and organic usually comes with looser sounding amps and the grind/fast tracking with tighter ones. Hard to find them both, in the same amp.

Archived