How to write "Non-Rhyming" Songs

bwalker

• Members

How do you write songs that seem to have no rhyming scheme whatsoever?

Let me re-word that...

What is catchy about the songs that make it big that don't seem to have any particular rhyme scheme?

I happened to listen to "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows on the way home yesterday, and it seems like he basically puts a melody to a paragraph that was written. The song was awesome when it came out, and it's still getting radio play. What's the secret?

I'm sure there is other songs like this too, so I'm hoping that this thread doesn't focus on "Mr. Jones".

• Members

My number one rule when I write lyrics is to not rhyme for the sake of rhyming. To me, lyrics tend to sound trite when written that way. I like to write in a paragraph form, which you stated about Mr. Jones. I think you should say what needs to be said. If it happens that you come up with a rhyme to drive the point home...great. But when I don't write in verse or rhyme, it really pushes me to have a better delivery while singing. I think the reason for this is cause I don't have that cushion of a rhyme sitting at the end of a line. It forces me to sing with more feeling and come up with a cooler way to say that last word that doesn't rhyme. Does this make sense to you? I hope it helps.:cool:

• Members

I naturally rhyme when I'm writing a song but I always do it in a way that isn't so obvious. What do you think about this option?

For instance:

Everybody knows my name

but they don't know who I am

and they don't care.

And they all try to be cool

only ask me how are you

and they don't care.

Name / Am, Cool / You are all off-rhymes and they are broken up by the non-rhyming line "And they don't care."

Here's another one:

I woke up this morning

Took a look outside

The clouds they were parting

To let the sun shine, shine, shine, shine

outside / shine are a rhyme but they are far apart (this song is sung slow) and only used to build up to the next part.

• Members

By the way, I think the Mr. Jones song does use a kind of rhyming scheme like I'm talking about:

Mr. Jones and me

Tell each other fairy tales and we

Stare at the beautiful women

She's looking at you

Oh no no she's looking at me

Smiling through the bright light

Comin' through in stereo

When everybody loves you

You can never be lonely

"you" and "stereo" . . .

"me" / "we" / "lonely"

• Members

Personally, I believe "Non-Rhyming" is an overglamorized ability - it's much harder to rhyme while advancing or reinforcing the subject of the song than it is to not rhyme because there is that extra variable, Rhyming, to juggle. I used to have the impression that it was the lack of rhymes that made certain lyrics great when what it really was was just good writing. No more. A good line is a good line is a good line, whether it rhymes or not, imo.

However, if you wish to develop a Non-Rhyming ability you can try rewriting some of the rhyming songs you've written as an exercise. Just go through them and remove all the lines that rhyme and try saying them in a different way while still remaining loyal to the subject matter and the ideas you've expressed in the song. Then compare the two songs - Non-Rhyming and Rhyming - and determine for yourself which one sounds better to you. Or try it in reverse and turn Non-Rhyming song into rhyming ones. My guess is, all other variables being equal, you'll choose the rhyming one. Also try imagining (or even rewriting) the Non-Rhyming songs of artists whose songs you are impressed by. If there were a way you (or they) could add rhymes while remaining loyal to the song's subject/story without trivializing it, would it ruin the song or enhance it?

I have to admit though, there are many lines in songs that don't rhyme but still sound extremely good; mostly, however, as single line choruses, tags, outros, or refrains or whatever. But I tend to give them credit as good lines because of just plain delivery and not necessarily because they didn't rhyme. Sometimes you need a Non-Rhyming line at the end of a section of verse or music like a knot at the end of a rope. It sounds more finished that way.

• Members

Originally posted by mmmiddle

By the way, I think the Mr. Jones song does use a kind of rhyming scheme like I'm talking about:

Mr. Jones
and me

Tell each other fairy tales
and we

Stare at the beautiful women

She's looking at
you

Oh no no she's looking
at me

Smiling through the bright light

Comin' through in
stereo

When everybody loves
you

You can never be
lonely

"you" and "stereo" . . .

"me" / "we" / "lonely"

Here is also a verse that rhymes(not verbatum):

"I wanna be a lion

Everybody wanna pass as cats

Yea, we wanna be big, big stars

But we got different reasons for that"

• Members

I agree with Fido mostly.

That is the 'art" of lyric writing- to advance the narrative in a prose like form. I like non-rhyming stuff too as a matter of form,

but things like "Mr. Jones" have ALOT of rhythm going on and "internal rhymes" were syllables land in rhyme places-

Check out Eminem for perfect examples of what I'm talking about- he gets the sound-alike (but not perfect rhyme) syllables to land on the beat just right.

• Members

Let me try one real quick here..... :)

Green bean Sin :)

I was cooking

some stuff tonight

Thought I'd grab a Green bean

And start cooking it

Well, the door bell rang :confused:

I had to gooooo

The bean was smokin

the way green beans dooooo

Chorus