Kahler vs. Floyd Rose

Haden Olmsted

• Members

Hey so everyone knows the floyd rose is the main bridge for dive bombs and tremolo stuff, but theres this other bridge system called the Kahler. Pros and cons of both and the most important question... can the kahler system change tunings or is it stuck in one like floyd rose?

-Thanks-

• Members

Steinberger had the transtrem, where you could change tunings...but that was on their guitars.

Problem with kahler is that you need to either buy strings with soldered ends or solder them yourself. There can be a bit of slippage.

I don't like actual floyds, though i feel the best trem ever made was the ibanez edge in the late 80's early 90's. They had a great feel, and NEVER go out of tune, even with severe abuse.

• Members

Floyd Roses stay in tune.

Khalers do not.

Problem with khalers is micro tilt after bends. Very difficult to get to return to exact zero. Some players liked them originally because they had a lower profile than the original floyd, and if you go from a fixed bridge to a floyd and you have a heavy mute technique, it can move bridge and effect tune. So they were of interest to some metal rythym players but thats about it.

• Members

Hey Haden Olmsted,

I own both a chrome Kahler Spyder (OEM factory installed on an '87 Fender Japan Strat) and a gold Kahler Steeler tremolo bridges (installed aftermarket on a Frankenstrat guitar). Both of my bridges stayed in very well after all of the whammy abuse I do to it onstage. The Steeler and Spyder are quite easy to change strings when it breaks or needs replacing since it is similiar in design to the Floyd Rose. The Kahler 2700 tremolo bridges (Spyder, Steeler, Killer) were designed by Kahler during the '90s to compete directly with Floyd Rose tremolo bridges. This caused Floyd Rose to sue Kahler due to the high quality design of the Kahler 2700 bridges. Quite a few Zion, Anderson, and Carvin guitars from the '90s have the Kahler installed OEM on their guitars. You can find them used on E-bay for around $50.00.

Concerning tuning, are you refering to the Kahler flatmount 2200 & 2300 cam operated tremolo bridges or 2700 fulcrum type bridges?

Guitar George

• Members

ok I don't care which one stays in tune longer all i want to know is... can the kahler CHANGE tunings... can i go from standard E tuning to say drop C, with the kahler?

yes you can.I prefer the kahler pro over floyd do to comfort.my 2 main guitars are both equipt with kahlers and I tune to B.the intination is dead on.

• Members

I have never had a problem with my kahler staying in tune. I also never solder the ball end. I don't really beat the hell out of my trem though.

Oh yea, I forgot another think I like about the kahler. Flip locking nut.

Archived