Rant: James Labrie is the worst singer I've heard in a musically respectable band

danbronson

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there should be a petition to kick him out of the group.:idea:

Maybe the rest of the band would get a clue then.

Judging by the amount of hate for Labrie, I think the rest of the group needs to pull their ass out of the mediocrity they have become and get a new singer and maybe that will give them new life as a group.

• Members

I don't think he's that bad, but he is their weakest link. I think Portnoy and Petrucci write most of the lyrics, I'm not sure how much LaBrie, Myung, and Rudess get to contribute.

Try Fates Warning instead, check out Parallels or A Pleasant Shade of Gray.
:cool:

Myung used to write a little, and he wrote some of the band's best lyrics. Right up there with Moore's stuff IMO, just that he wrote very rarely.

Of course, then JP and MP made a nice little band rule that basically put and end to Myung's lyric writing, so now we're stuck with JP, MP and occasionally Labrie's shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty lyrics.

Doesn't bother me too much anymore, seeing as they've not put out anything worth listening to pretty much since Rudess joined the band. It's all just wankery now.

Don't even get me fuckin' started on Labrie's singing. Fucking disgusting. I&W I'd have to say he was good on, but even on Awake he's pretty fuckin' average at times. Off pitch, or just wailing incoherently, or maybe even a bit of both. Falling Into Infinity was worse (check out Hollow Years... I don't think he lands a single note in that song), and it just seemed to continue downhill from there. Now apparently he's getting his range back and blah blah blah, whatever. I've heard it for fuckin' ages from the fanboys... "Oh, he must have had an "off-night" when that DVD was shot... when I saw them he was great", etc. etc.

No, he's just fucking shit. That's all there is to it. The Budokan DVD has some of the most disgusting "pro" singing the world has ever been subjected to. :freak:

And a big +1 for A Pleasant Shade of Gray. Although, I'm not a big fan of Alder's voice either. Some pitch issues here 'n' there, and I just don't particularly like the sound of his voice. That said, I'd rather listen to him than Labrie, any day of the week. :cop:

• Members

Post this thread over at the Petrucci forum because I have something important to say to the moderator over there:thu:

You'll be five seconds into just typing out your first big anti-Labrie post when the moderator will burst through your front door armed with a chainsaw, ready to tear you to tiny bits.

It's a fuckin' retarded forum. :freak:

• Members

You'll be five seconds into just typing out your first big anti-Labrie post when the moderator will burst through your front door armed with a chainsaw, ready to tear you to tiny bits.

It's a fuckin' retarded forum.
:freak:

Indeed, it use to be cool over there years ago, now it's full of twats and punk kids with big internet muscles and one of the worst nazi moderators I've come in contact with:blah:.

• Members

My views are:

1. The vocalist is shocking, he sounds very cliche 1980's at times.

2. I dont think DT are anything special either. They come across as studio musicians that decided to form a band thats dark and borderline heavy. They seem to fail to capture that emotion at all. Great skills as individuals but theres just something missing, whether it be real emotion or actual "rock" etc.

3. Nearly all the fans of DT i know here (im not saying everywhere) can be classified as "nerds." I'm not going to say its a valid opinion or try to define what a nerd is, thats just how it happens here. And I'm talking fairly stereotypical, no gfs, fat, unemployed, living with parents at 25 years of age (for no reason thats apparent), acne etc. All the generalisations and stereotypes are there.

To sum up; Partially stuck in the 80s, plastic emotionless music trying to be something dark which it clearly is not and is listened to by socially unaccepted (or shunned) people.

Hows that compared to america and other places? Im actually quite curious.

• Members

My views are:

1. The vocalist is shocking, he sounds very cliche 1980's at times.

2. I dont think DT are anything special either. They come across as studio musicians that decided to form a band. Great skills but theres just something missing, whether it be real emotion or actual "rock" etc.

3. Nearly all the fans of DT i know here (im not saying everywhere) can be classified as "nerds." I'm not going to say its a valid opinion or try to define what a nerd is, thats just how it happens here.

Stuck in the 80s, plastic emotionless music trying to be something dark which it clearly is not and is listened to by socially undesirable people.

Hows that compared to america and other places? Im actually quite curious.

I agree with everything in this, though there are also people I know who like DT and listen to them just because they're complicated to listen to. However, after listening to my reasons why there's a ton of other bands that are just as techy but actually have some sort of meaningful resonance on other levels, pretty much everyone I know that likes them will agree that they aren't that great as a band.

:thu:

• Members

i wouldn't say that it's mainly liked by socially unaccepted people, but i can definitely see people like that loving Dream Theater, with the mindset of "well, people don't like me as a person, but if I get that good on my instruments, maybe they'll think I'm amazing and want to interact with me :love:"

:D:thu:

• Members

Indeed, it use to be cool over there years ago, now it's full of twats and punk kids with big internet muscles and one of the worst nazi moderators I've come in contact with:blah:.

Yeah, I used to post there a while ago and it was an ok place. Stopped posting for a while, and then when I went back to check it out it was like it'd been overrun by fanboys (and a dick of a moderator).

And in all seriousness... it just doesn't get much worse than Dream Theater fanboys. DT, Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah, etc. etc... I dunno how they do it, but they attract some of the most irritating fanboys around. Incredible. :freak:

• Members

Yeah, I used to post there a while ago and it was an ok place. Stopped posting for a while, and then when I went back to check it out it was like it'd been overrun by fanboys (and a dick of a moderator).

And in all seriousness... it just doesn't get much worse than Dream Theater fanboys. DT, Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah, etc. etc... I dunno how they do it, but they attract some of the most irritating fanboys around. Incredible.

Tool and NIN are the worst I think. DT is up there though.

• Members

I know how they do it.

People think that because the musicians in that band are better than most, that means they're better than most other music fans by liking them. Either that, or the fact that they're better musicians attracts people who think they're better than everyone else :lol:

• Members

And just another point on the whole idea that Labrie doesn't really have a musical personality as such, he just sings what he's told to...

Anyone who's heard the original Moore demo of Space Dye Vest would easily be able to pick the way that in the studio version Labrie bases his singing on Moore's original demo vox. He has that same flat kind of style that Moore tends to sing in. You don't really hear Labrie do it anywhere else, only in that song. Everywhere else he's either wailing, or doing his ultra-breathy stuff, and either way it's with his ridiculous vibrato. But on SDV, it's Moore's flat, no-nonsense style that you hear in Labrie's singing. :thu:

Not that I'm complaining, it suits the song. It's just interesting to notice. If anything I'd probably rather Moore just did it himself though.

• Members

And in all seriousness... it just doesn't get much worse than Dream Theater fanboys. DT, Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah, etc. etc... I dunno how they do it, but they attract some of the most irritating fanboys around. Incredible.

That's what happens when you can't get laid:idea:

• Members

There are still those who like his solo work but cringe with his DT stuff. I would just have to asy that he's a talented dude but jsut wrong for the band. I think a new singer would definitely breathe life in to the band. They need more rock and roll and less composition. Maybe a Les Paul and a Marshall stack would help.

Archived