Rant: James Labrie is the worst singer I've heard in a musically respectable band

danbronson

• Members

i have an extreme hatred for the DT vocals, and i think they really hold that band back from breaking into the mainstream

I think they are about as mainstream as they are going to get with the type of music they play. Your average top 40 listener wont dig key and time changes every other measure. A different singer won't change that.

I think they should replace labrie with clay aiken. :rawk:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't like Labrie but that post fails hard

1. Labrie doesn't write the lyrics, Petrucci does. Complain to him if you think the lyrics suck, which they often do. The lyrics on the last album were cringe worthy "Dark master I will fight for you"
:freak:

2. That song is about autism not depression. You wrote a whole essay on this yet couldn't be bothered to google the song and see if what you're saying actually makes sense?

3. Labrie can be intolerable, but he is not the worst singer I've ever heard. Try listening to DT with the first two singers, its painful. I never thought there could be a singer that makes Labrie look good, much less two, but they pull it off somehow

Forgive me oh all-knowing diety, for I don't know every detail about this band.

1. So I guess Labrie AND John Petrucci are the worst singer I've heard in a musically respectable band.

2. Autism...depression...either way, those lyrics are mind-numbingly bad.

3. So you're just saying DT is cursed? I could see that.

• Members

Fuck, I agree 1,000%

(Kevin) James LaBrie is a HORRIBLE singer; can't sing his studio shit live, always flat, shrieky sounding timbre, horrible vibrato. Shall I go on?

Hell, I liked Chris Collins better than him

You know, I didn't want to mention that he often sounds flat to me, cause he "sounds" like he's singing so technically correctly and I feared a snowball of tonedeaf Labrie fans getting their panties in a bunch cause they don't hear it. But god damn, he is often FLAT. Particularely on their older stuff (before autotune was invented maybe?).

For the record, I think "sounding" like you're singing technically correctly is also a bad thing even if you can sing perfectly. A good singer sounds natural, like they're not trying, just succeeding. Labrie sounds like he's trying and (to me) failing to sing "correctly".:freak:

• Members

Forgive me oh all-knowing diety, for I don't know every detail about this band.

1. So I guess Labrie AND John Petrucci are the worst singer I've heard in a musically respectable band.

2. Autism...depression...either way, those lyrics are mind-numbingly bad.

3. So you're just saying DT is cursed? I could see that.

I'm not an all knowing DT deity, I just have access to wikipedia :poke:

But yeah, maybe they're just cursed and can't find good vocalists. Or maybe their standards were lowered so much by the first two singers that labrie actually sounds good to them :idk:

• Members

I used to big a big DT fan, always ignored LaBrie. There is ONE melody he does that I like, almost everything else I cant stand. Ive said it before, ill say it again, DT are a bunch of music nerds that are going WAY out of their element trying to be "dark" and "heavy".

• Members

This is funny. I was listening to Petrucci's solo in "Another Day" today, and I was thinking about how much I hate James' voice. I really don't dig Dream Theater at all (I like some of Petrucci's solos and his solo album) but I especially can't stand LaBrie. Not to mention the fact that he's one of those annoying kind of people who says the "F" word every other sentence. :p

• Members

The other three members of Dream Theatre are like a good piece of prime rib, and James Labrie is a steamy turd resting on top of it.

He totally ruins a great band.

LOL. Here is Labrie in his prime.......

Awesome!!!!

[YOUTUBE]3O4HOMPD-1E[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

When Metallica plays MOP, it's like they're really pushing because it's so fast. This gives it an urgency that sounds perfect for the song. When DT plays it, you get the feeling they could play it in their sleep. And then I get put to sleep.

• Members

Whenever I'm going to see a band live, or just if everyone raves about them, I always try to check out their entire catalog if I can. Even if I'm never going to listen to it again, I can usually get something out of it and at least I know the band, right? Well I've been listening to Dream Theater all day today and yesterday, and I can't take it anymore. I have to vent.

It's like James is
immitating
a skilled singer when he sings. His voice, tonally, is beyond bland. I get the feeling he chooses his melody lines based entirely on what other singers have done before and not from internal inspiration, like any real songwriter should. I just don't hear originality and creativity when he opens his mouth. But it's his lyrics that really kill me. The simplest, stupidest sounding rhymes over and over again, like a 15 year old with no real life experience wrote it. Every song is cheesier than the last (and I'm aware that Portnoy has a lot to do with this too). From songs about human rights to 'coping with insanity', it's all a bunch of FILLER. At least they had a concept for SFAM (which I've had and 'mostly' enjoyed for years fwiw). But I just finished listening to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and...

He helplessly stands by

It's meaningless to try

As he rubs his red-rimmed eyes

He says I've never seen her get this bad

Even though she seems so high

He knows that she can't fly

and when she falls out of the sky

He'll be standing by

Good lord, what is that exactly?

He's a Monday morning lunatic

Disturbed from time to time

Lost within himself

In his solitary shell

A temporary catatonic

Madman on occasion

When will he break out

Of his solitary shell

Clearly whoever wrote these lyrics has no idea what actual insanity is. They sure don't have a clue how to express it in lyrics. It's like they're writing songs based on what they see on TV commercials about teenage depression. There is absolutely no depth and meaning here.

Instrumentally, while DT can be pretty self-indulgent, they've got it down. They can write interesting parts and occasionally communicate a fairly passionate performance. Technically speaking, they don't sound skilled, they
are
skilled. But put James' singing into that and it's like an advanced physics course being taught by Barney the Dinosaur. The two are just on completely different levels and don't work together whatsoever.

Now, this is all just an opinion
, obviously I'm not the all-knowing infallible judge of lyrics and singing and I recognize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also recognize that there are many different ways to be good as a singer, and not all singers possess all of these qualities. But I'm of the opinion that if they ever want to write something GOOD, they need to sit down and realize that a singer is at least as important as each individual instrument, so they need to take it that seriously otherwise the whole package is spoiled. They need to come up with SOME reason to justify having Labrie around. To me, at this point, he's nothing more than a distraction.

At least there's Liquid Tension Experiment...

If you parsed every lyric in the history of rock and roll....all of music...you'd come up with just about 98% incomprehensible and or nonsense.

With as enamored with death metal thrash/whatever as this site appears to be...you want to rag on DT lyrics and singing? LOL!

Now having said that....when I went to my one and only DT show, the crowd would laze with LaBrie singing, when he went off the stage everyone sat up...or stood up, and became transfixed. Labrie would bounce back out from backstage and everyone would roll their eyes and sit down. lol. We're talking a lot of non-musicians too.

So while I am slightly critical of your logic/reasoning....LOTS of people know there's something wrong there, even if they aren't quite sure what it is.

• Members

DT is a collection of skilled musicians. They are not a band in the deeper sense.

I will re-iterate something I've said before: I wish DT would break up. Very, very much so.

If JP and Myung left LaBrie and his horrible vocals (even if they still wrote lyrics it would still sound better from another guy) and Portnoy, (the world's most ridiculously talented drummer who is simultaneously unawares of what the SONG needs at least half the time), then they could go and rock the "somewhat heavier Rush/Yes"-deal that they obviously want to do.

PS: I agree with the sentiment that LaBrie sounds like he's trying to sound like someone else but is failing :lol:

• Members

It's funny that, as popular as DT is among guitarists, Labrie is almost universally hated. Sure, you'll have the fanboys who claim he's 'perfect' for DT but on the average people seem to despise him.

God he {censored}in sucks

Archived