is it okay not to rhyme lyrics?

boy#152

• Members

rhyming is only a method to keep the listener's attention on the song during the song and beyond. it gives the listener something to expect, which gives him or her a sense of being apart of the song. also, rhyme makes it easier for a person to remember the song in the long run (you know those times when you can't get a song out of your head); it essentially adds to the catchiness. but don't get me wrong, if you're the anti-rhymer then i applaud your journey to through the path less traveled.

• Members

I know there are some great songs that don't rhyme but I can't do it when I write. I can't not rhyme. Maybe someday I'll write a song that doesn't have rhyming. In fact, I need to find songs that don't rhyme and study them. 99% of all commercial songs do rhyme. Must be a reason us writers beat our brains in trying to rhyme well.

• Members

Rhyme is an art unto itself. I totally disagree that all lyrics that rhyme are trite, in fact many times it's those that reach for over the top bull{censored} that doesn't rhyme that end up saying very little IMO.

To rhyme, you have to learn to be concise, to find phrases that express much in few words. It's tricky, and yes sometimes you have to use a phrase that may have been used before to move the narrative along, but that's OK.

So, no, you don't HAVE to rhyme.

B

• Members

No, lyrics don't have to rhyme. Writing great lyrics is an art, no matter if you choose to have them rhyme or not. The catchiest element of a song is largely the melody used to deliver the lyrics. Lyrical content is a close second, allowing individuals to identify with what you are singing/screaming/rapping about. The rhythmic flow of what you say comes next. A very natural, conversational feel is easiest to digest, but don't discount the surprising ability of oddly placed accents and rhythms.

It comes down to the type of lyricist you want to be. Classic songwriter? Avant guarde storyteller? Or somewhere in between?

Just doing what comes naturally is best. Listen to that little voice in your brain. Just do what YOU want to do and you will succeed.

• Members

Originally posted by GreyMartyr

[bJust do what YOU want to do and you will succeed.

not always the case. i know degrees of success are very subjective to personal opinion, but a very common idea of success is 'making it big.' as such, i wouldn't condone going around doing whatever you want, because that will most likely take you nowhere. there is a lot of compromise and sacrifice involved. i'm not saying that you're wrong and that you shouldn't be ambitious with what you believe in - this is just a stern warning for those dreamers out there, including myself.

• Members

You should learn to rhyme.

Are you an avant garde musician? No scales, no standard chords, no standard meter? Then don't rhyme.

Otherwise you are just being lazy. You don't want to learn the discipline of rhyming structures and needing to produce a meaningful statement within the confines of rhyme.

Don't expect anyone to listen to your crap if you aren't even willing to learn how to be a songwriter.

And don't give me some example of a great non-rhyming song. Show me an artist who has consistently produced a body of work that does not rhyme. And doesn't suck.

This is just like someone saying they don't need to learn scales to play guitar and then giving me some example of atonal noodling. Yeah are there some people who can make that sound good in certain contexts. Sure. Is someone who can only do that a guitar player. No. It's bull{censored}. You're bull{censored}. Get a rhyming dictionary. Learn songwriting. I would say don't inflict your formless musings on me but since your crap will never get farther than your bedroom I don't really have to worry about it.

Just my opinion. Given with love.

• Members

Originally posted by onemanband

You should learn to rhyme.

Are you an avant garde musician? No scales, no standard chords, no standard meter? Then don't rhyme.

Otherwise you are just being lazy. You don't want to learn the discipline of rhyming structures and needing to produce a meaningful statement within the confines of rhyme.

Don't expect anyone to listen to your crap if you aren't even willing to learn how to be a songwriter.

And don't give me some example of a great non-rhyming song. Show me an artist who has consistently produced a body of work that does not rhyme. And doesn't suck.

This is just like someone saying they don't need to learn scales to play guitar and then giving me some example of atonal noodling. Yeah are there some people who can make that sound good in certain contexts. Sure. Is someone who can only do that a guitar player. No. It's bull{censored}. You're bull{censored}. Get a rhyming dictionary. Learn songwriting. I would say don't inflict your formless musings on me but since your crap will never get farther than your bedroom I don't really have to worry about it.

Just my opinion. Given with love.

Bull crap! A song does not have to rhym to be good, as a matter of fact some suck because they rhym and make no sense. There is no rules in music, if it rhyms fine, if it don't fine as long as it sounds good.:rolleyes:

• Members

There are plenty of rhymes and rhyme structures and I would advise you to get familliar with them all. That being said, hell no you don't have to rhyme. Rhyme structures are tools just like anything else, and if your song works better without it, then leave it out.

• Members

You're killing this guy with kindness. Can you write a song that doesn't rhyme. Of course. Can you write two. Yeah. Three. Hmmm...

At some point you got to write songs where rhyming occurs. Free verse just doesn't cut it. Its hard enough with poetry and songs aren't poetry.

(Oh god, here it comes. Songs are too poetry! Jeez. Get a life.)

Are there songs that rhyme that are lame? Oh gee, let me think. Yeah. Good observation Einstein.

Are there songs that use major chords that are lame? Yeah. Well obviously we better not use major chords anymore.

Look if someone doesn't want to be a songwriter than don't bother to learn songwriting skills-rhyme, structure and meter. If you don't want to be a musician don't learn melody, harmony and rythym.

If you want to be a songwriter and musician then get to work bro!

If you want someone to tell you you don't need to do the hard work to do all these things, they'll always be some fool that will be willing to tell you what you want to hear. That doesn't alter the facts.

Remember a fool always likes there to be at least one bigger fool around town.

• Members

Originally posted by onemanband

You're killing this guy with kindness. Can you write a song that doesn't rhyme. Of course. Can you write two. Yeah. Three. Hmmm...

At some point you got to write songs where rhyming occurs. Free verse just doesn't cut it. Its hard enough with poetry and songs aren't poetry.

(Oh god, here it comes. Songs are too poetry! Jeez. Get a life.)

Are there songs that rhyme that are lame? Oh gee, let me think. Yeah. Good observation Einstein.

Are there songs that use major chords that are lame? Yeah. Well obviously we better not use major chords anymore.

Look if someone doesn't want to be a songwriter than don't bother to learn songwriting skills-rhyme, structure and meter. If you don't want to be a musician don't learn melody, harmony and rythym.

If you want to be a songwriter and musician then get to work bro!

If you want someone to tell you you don't need to do the hard work to do all these things, they'll always be some fool that will be willing to tell you what you want to hear. That doesn't alter the facts.

Remember a fool always likes there to be at least one bigger fool around town.

Don't be a jackass, we are not just being kind, songs don't have to rhyme or even have a particular structure. Just because you can't fathom creativity doesent mean others cant. Look Einstein, music is a form of art with no clear defined limits, if you can't get that you might want to quit. Rhyme if you want, but you don't have to.

• Members

By the way I found it Ironic that you tried to be sarcastic using the name of Einstein, when trying to force structure on music. Einstein was known for going beyond the normal realm of thought and was considered a genies for it!:rolleyes:

• Members

You mistake lack of ability for creativity.

The dude said he can't rhyme for {censored}. Why? Has he tried?

And I don't mean sitting in his bedroom for an afternoon trying to be "creative" with dance and romance. I mean work at it. Understand different rhyming structures, how they might fit into a song. When NOT to rhyme to create tension (yes it can be appropriate) and when to let it rip. Study other people's songs.

I'm afraid to ask how he deals with rhymic structure and stress on syllables in his lyrics.

quote "don't have to rhyme or even have a particular structure" unquote

And now you are saying that song structure also hampers your and my (although I am too much of a wretch to notice) creativity. Let's see no rhyme, no structure. Can we have some rhythm? No? Remind me not to come to your dance party.

You know even beginner's luck eventually runs out and then you need something to fall back on. Skill is usually not a bad option. Skill will ALLOW you to be creative. Developing skill requires hard work. Being a whiny lazy ass won't get you anywhere.

On Einstein.

Einstein steeped himself in physics and knew all the major problems and research of the era. He was no slouch at physics (and contrary to popular perception - math) and would have laughed if someone suggested that he could make major contributions to physics without studying and thoroughly understanding physics as it was known at the time.

Additionally he was Einstein. I stand by my sarcasm.

• Members

Don't get me wrong the tools should be learned, but they are not a rule for creation. A true artist will step out of the norm and make something new, if we all stood by a format we would be stale. As for your sarcasm you should stand down, Einstein was called anything but smart until he came up with something new. By the way I don't need you at my dance party I do very well without you, and I wont visit you at open mic night (I heard your stuff).

Good luck private pile.:rolleyes:

Archived