Songs without drums?

alleydog

• Members

It's not unusual to have no drums on an album, especially an acoustic album, but I might recommend have one or two tracks with hand percussion (congas/bongos etc.) and a number of track wiith a shaker to provide the groove, just to make things interesting and to keep it sounding like just a demo.

• Members

How about music with no instrumentation at all? Acapella singing can be rich and full. Add a few strings and it takes on a different sound.

There was a two man act back in the 1960's that was really very good. One sang lead and the other played slap bass. They were known as "The Pair Extraordinaire"...

It can be argued that slap bass is indeed percussive, even though it's a stringed instrument, but then look at how successful street accordionists or concertina players have been as the sole accompaniment to singers.

Anything's possible...

• Members

I have been listening to Johnny Cash's last album The Man Comes Around and there is hardly a drum on the whole album. Actually I think there is one song with drums on. Mostly the rythm is held by a western guitar played in a kind of percussive way. It sounds great.

• Members

Thanks for the comments. Great ideas! I learned that

Elliott Smith has some cool songs without drums also. It sucks not having a drummer, but I guess I'm looking for excuses to record originals without one. Just saw a Zeppelin cover band tonight playing acoustic....it can be done.

• Members

well, i'm a solo act, and unfortunately I don't play drums, sometimes i add subtle electronic drums, but most of my songs remain drumless, actually I do like it most of the time like that, but also many people think that eve if it's by purpose, i've found many people think it's a lack of production. I think it will be fine if it's ok with you, it's your music :)

• Members

Yeah there are lots of folks who play without drums. If you've ever seen Richard Thompson or Peter Case play solo acoustic, it gives you an idea what one GREAT songwriter and a guitar (which they also both play incredibly well) can do.

In general though, I can't personally imagine writing too many songs without drums. I'm a sucker for great drumming, and am blessed to have an awesome drummer in my band. He is now starting to get involved in the songwriting process, which is great, but he's always been really great at taking a song to the next level by participating a LOT in coming up with the arrangement.

So I'd say that if you really relate to drums and that it hinders you as a writer to write without them (I know it does me), find a drummer! Preferably one that can play some percussion or a stripped down kit and could do some acoustic gigs with you... we've done some coffeehouse gigs that way and it's way cool.

• Members

I'd suggest you at least include percussion on some of the tracks, so you can lighten up on the guitar playing (you no longer have to rely on it to provide the beat) and it keeps it from being monotonous.

Of course, a pleasantly fitting conga piece, or if you can integrate it a bodhram (irish frame drum) or a tyco (huge japanese drum) part would be awesome.

And I suggest recording your foot tapping onto a pine box or something for one of the songs where you're more sparse on the guitar playing. It adds for a cool effect.

• Members

Elliot Smith has had some great songs without drums or percussion - with great rhythms, not just dull strumming. Acoustic guitar is a great percussive instrument in some cases - just listen to Django Reinhardt and the Hot Club recordings from the 30s.

• Members

As others have suggested, there's a big relatively unexploited area between no drums at all and your typical boom-chak rock drumming.

One thing I've noticed is that when I think about my favorite albums that I think of as not having drums or much drums, what I often find is that there is actually a fair bit of percussion, but that it's usually subtle and often well outside the confines of your standard pop kit drumming.

Some of the big label non-rock and/or folkie recordings of the late 60s and early 70s had some very inventive arrangements in general.

A somewhat familiar exemplar of that long-ago trend is, say, Leonard Cohen's eponymous first album. It's filled with quirky, colorful arrangements with all kinds of offbeat (er, you know) percussion and unusual instrumentation. As the seventies progressed, though, it seemed like everything just kind of mushed together. Also, I think trap kit drum arrangements were seen to have more 'street cred' then, less arty...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by alleydog

Is it a "bad" idea to produce an acoustic (Indie Rock) album with no percussion? Does anyone know of such an album I can listen to as a reference?

Jewel's first CD was mostly songs without percussion.

• Members

A couple more things to listen to are any bluegrass band. Some acoustic jazz. Bands like, Nickle Creek, Newgrass revival, and early David Grissman quintet. No drums but plenty of rythym, with many different styles of music from jazz to regae to undefinable. You may not be into bluegrass but it will give you some ideas about how to utilize other acoustical stringed instruments to achieve the sound that you are looking for

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I caught a solo act at the local blues room a couple months back that had a very effective way of maintaining a beat. Wish I could remember his name but he played a mean guitar, sang and drummed with his feet. He sat in a chair, put a strip of something under both feet that gave a kinda hollow sound. Then he got both feet going into a dedicated mike. He did a heel and toe with both feet that sounded great along with the vocals and guitar.

• Members

It's not necessarily just a matter of orchestration. It's not a simple thing to say, but when you take out a single voice you can change a song drastically. A whole dimension can be lost, and to simply call it "orchestration" simple doesn't make the cut. At the same time, you can lack that dimension and still hear that it's the same song - sorta - and with blues / jazz, you can do the same song with with a dozen people or just one. I just don't think it's apropriate to be so dismissive.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBoatCanDream

It's not necessarily just a matter of orchestration. It's not a simple thing to say, but when you take out a single voice you can change a song drastically. A whole dimension can be lost, and to simply call it "orchestration" simple doesn't make the cut. At the same time, you can lack that dimension and still hear that it's the same song - sorta - and with blues / jazz, you can do the same song with with a dozen people or just one. I just don't think it's apropriate to be so dismissive.

yes, but "twinkle twinkle little star" is the same SONG whether it's pounded out on a childs toy piano or whether it's orchestrated for a symphony. the song is the same.

Do some reading on these terms and then come back. Drums are an arrangement decision.

Archived