VOX ac30: I want one so what should I look for?

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

hey there everyone!

After a bunch of amp searching I have decided on an ac30. The problem is that I have read a lot about their problems with reliability. I really want the amp, so are there particular models to look for? How about mods I can have done to prevent problems?

• Members

They have got better as production has gone along, the best way really to get better reliability is to change the tubes for good ones when it arrives.

What do you want out of it? If you want ac30 dirty tones at decent volumes then a Custom Classic might be your best bet.. The CC comes with reverb and Trem too which you might like.

If you want a basic, no extra's AC30, take a look at the Heritage series, I jsut got one and I really like it, no master volume though so you will need an attenuator to get crunchier tones at home volumes.

• Members

hey thanks for the info! I'm looking for that early u2 sound that is pretty clean and articulate. I will be running pedals for dirt so I want it to stay clean. I hardly ever run amps hot andplay at moderate to low volume but I need the headroom to keep the tone glassy clean

• Members

hey thanks for the info! I'm looking for that early u2 sound that is pretty clean and articulate. I will be running pedals for dirt so I want it to stay clean. I hardly ever run amps hot andplay at moderate to low volume but I need the headroom to keep the tone glassy clean

Well both the handwired and the Custom Classics will have similar headroom, its just the master volume on the CC that gives you the option for dirt at lower volumes.

I think for a U2 sound any AC30 will do, along with a good delay pedal. Course if you can get a vintage 60's AC30 then thats good!

Archived