You favorite song writers

Brennotdan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This post is for song writers, not jerk offs, pill poppers or has-beens. I mean Syd Barrett? Give me a break... My Grandmother could write better songs than him and she's been dead for thirty years. (Syd's been dead for more than that!) Why not list that {censored}er who wrote the coke commercial "I'd like to teach the world to sing" or the "Pastabilities" jingle? Let's rock!

Here's a one-up for the women writers. I want you all to check out PATTY GRIFFIN, and report back later.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop

This post is for song writers, not jerk offs, pill poppers or has-beens. I mean Syd Barrett? Give me a break... I want you all to check out PATTY GRIFFIN, and report back later.
:cool:

blah blah blah yawn yawn yawn

I adore my Syd, and he was (and probably still is) brilliant. Patty Griffin's not (though not bad).

• Members
Originally posted by Porkchop

This post is for song writers, not jerk offs, pill poppers or has-beens. I mean Syd Barrett? Give me a break... My Grandmother could write better songs than him and she's been dead for thirty years. (Syd's been dead for more than that!) Why not list that {censored}er who wrote the coke commercial "I'd like to teach the world to sing" or the "Pastabilities" jingle? Let's rock!

hahah! i like the guy who wrote 'i feel like chicken tonite'!!!
:p

• Members

let's see . . . I'll try to keep this down to who has actually influenced my own songwriting, instead of those artists who I just enjoy (Beck, Thom Yorke)

Bob Dylan, of course
Tom Petty
John Fogerty
Ronnie Van Zandt - there was a good songwriter hidden beneath that Confederate flag
Warren Zevon
Springsteen
Mick Jagger - underrated in my book
David Bowie
Jon Foreman
Ben Folds
Paul Westerberg
Rivers Cuomo - first two cds
Skip James
Willie Dixon

...and so many more

• Members

Love Bob Schneider. Going to see him in Portland next week.
Not really into country music, but LUCINDA WILLIAMS is out of this world as a songwriter. Best writer I've heard in years.
Of course I love all the oldies like Collective Soul, Chrissie Hynde, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Crowded House, John Hiatt, Shawn Colvin, we could go on all night

• Members

I am from Mexico, so ill name some that you guys already know, and i would like to invite you to listen to some latin composers as well. they are not known on the US but they are quite famous here, and very talented.
Stevie Wonder
Ray Charles
John Fogerty
John and Paul of course

Now the latin ones, that i invite you to listen, just browse em on the net, and im sure youll find something about them real quick
Armando Manzanero (Mexican,oldie, but good lyrics and great harmony progressions)
Alejandro Sanz (good lyrics, spanish kind of singing, complex and rich harmonies)
Fito Paez (He is from Argentina, the best constructing melodies)
Agustin Lara (He is Mexican, great lyrics, great melodies, complex and creative progressions)
I am still learning from them. I live in Mexico near Mc Allen Texas, so i know they are not that famous in the US, so, i would like to share, some of our latin musicians. We mexicans do have access to all the famous american composers.
Hope you like em
Eduardo

• Members

elvis costello
tom waits
nick cave
ben folds
joe jackson
travis morrison's dismemberment plan songs, not his solo songs
ian mackaye/guy picciotto
brian wilson's pet sounds
jonathan donahue of mercury rev
john davis of superdrag pre-"last call for the vitriol"

• Members

Originally posted by ebladinieres

I am from Mexico, so ill name some that you guys already know, and i would like to invite you to listen to some latin composers as well. they are not known on the US but they are quite famous here, and very talented.

Stevie Wonder

Ray Charles

John Fogerty

John and Paul of course

Now the latin ones, that i invite you to listen, just browse em on the net, and im sure youll find something about them real quick

Armando Manzanero (Mexican,oldie, but good lyrics and great harmony progressions)

Alejandro Sanz (good lyrics, spanish kind of singing, complex and rich harmonies)

Fito Paez (He is from Argentina, the best constructing melodies)

Agustin Lara (He is Mexican, great lyrics, great melodies, complex and creative progressions)

I am still learning from them. I live in Mexico near Mc Allen Texas, so i know they are not that famous in the US, so, i would like to share, some of our latin musicians. We mexicans do have access to all the famous american composers.

Hope you like em

Eduardo

Hey, my company has a factory in McAllen... Do you live in/near Reynosa?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kevin Federline

I'm not your brother, I'm not your uncle, I'm Daddy do

Steppin' in this game and y'all ain't got a clue

My prediction is that y'all are gonna hate

On the style we create, straight 2008

But I know that you really can't wait

Because people always askin' me

When's the release date?

Tell me that isn't epic.

• Members

Originally posted by Delle_Rose

Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)

thankyou.

Jesus, having to wade through all those mentions of rob thomas and jewel before I got to this almost made me want to cry.

Also, a couple of others not previously mentioned;

Frank Black (pixies)

Tom Barman (dEUS)

Archived