You favorite song writers

Brennotdan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is one of those things that just keeps spilling out...

In no particular order -- and, I hope, with the firm uncerstanding that many of the artists below have had golden periods and, shall we say, not-so-golden periods:

Leonard Cohen
Elliot Smith
Hank Williams
Dvandra Banhart
Jo

• Members
Originally posted by PRSnotPOS

WTF!?!?!??! I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I think that Incubus, 311, A Perfect Circle, Opeth, and System are awesome song writers. They defy what everyone else is doing these day which is emo/screemo "whatever you want to call it" bullcrap. I live in Richmond, VA and there is a huge music scene. But it seems like all the bands suck. They are all crappy punk/emo/screemo bands that can only play drop d power chords and scream, not sing, to music. So I love bands that actually know how to make a good sounding song... I mean... Brandon Boyd, Nick Hexum, SA Martinez, Maynard James Keenan, (yes im a fan of vocals) are very original and creative singers/songwriters. Sorry if this seems ramblely but I'm trying to express a bunch of thoughts at once. My point is, THEY ARE NOT "NOISE MAKERS."

blah blah blah. Listen to some Paul Simon or Stevie Wonder and grow up a bit, kiddo. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Li Shenron

I like these lyricists for serious songs:

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Jim Moginie/Robert Hirst/Peter Garrett (Midnight Oil)

and these others for more funny songs:

Philip Lynott (Thin Lizzy)

Sting (Police)

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

Elvis Costello

plus Franco Battiato which writes in Italian however.

I am a big Knopfler fan but his lyrics are crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In no particular order;

Elvis Costello
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Bruce Springsteen
Warren Zevon
Art Alexakis
Eric Abramson
A.J. Croce
Nick Drake

2nd list....

I've recently been turned on to a whole new scene and really dig the tunes turned out live and onstage by the following bands and as such they deserve to be on this list;

String Cheese Incident
moe.
The Gourds
Digible Planets

Yeah...They deserve to be on the list.... Whole new genre and all, but damn are they different...

• Members

A lot of great songwriters have been mentioned but I would like to add one more to the list:

Morrissey

I like his work with The Smiths and most of his solo stuff after he teamed up with Alain Whyte as the musical collaborator.

• Members

Originally posted by TIP

Folks I'm digging from the past 4 years are:

Ryan Adams

David Gray

Jay Lamontange(his record Trouble is great)

Shawn Mullins.....

It's good to see Ryan Adams getting a mention. Some of his writing on the Gold LP & Love is Hell EP's was just great.

I really dig Shawn Mullins as well. His Soul's Core LP was really good.

I've always modelled a lot of my own writing around Tom Petty's style. I always like to try and tell a story.

But if I had to choose what I thought was the best writer, i would say Stephan Jenkins of 3rd Eye Blind. Their Out of the Vein Lp was immense. I've listened to it more than any other record in my life. Does anyone know what they're even up to these days? They're due us some new material surely?

They're probably 4 of my favourite writers.

• Members

Originally posted by TIP

Folks I'm digging from the past 4 years are:

Ryan Adams

David Gray

Jay Lamontange(his record Trouble is great)

Shawn Mullins

Oldies but goodies:

John Hiatt

Dylan

Neil Young

John Prine

I want to add Don Mclean to my list of oldies, just heard him on the Imus radio program........just for the fact that he wrote the song "Vincent" damn if that isn't a perfect song. It always bring a tear to my eye, not sure if it's because of the song or the fact that it saddens me to think that I could never express a thought in song as well as that. Plus he wrote "Crying" for Roy Orbison(another perfect tear jerker) and " American Pie". Listen to some of the "American Pie" record and it is chock full of tunes that can humble a songwriter.

Archived