NEED INFO ON THIS AMP

sundogkid

• Members

I recently bought an older half stack off my girl friends father. I can't find any information on the brand, and it's driving me nuts.

Here's the info that I do have:

Vibration Technology VR140 Guitar Equalizer

-Solid state

-160 watts

-4x12" Jensens (haven't confirmed this just yet)

-Believed to be a 69' model (as father remembers it)

-Canadian Made

1969VT160.jpg

Now, I have been playing for quite some time, and lean more towards blues/funk. This a,mp has an amazing clean channel, with a very nice reverb and a subtle chorus effect option. The best part about this amp so far, has got to be the bass and punch, from the sealed cab.

If anyone has information on this brand, and/or any of their equipment, who bought them out/what happened, etc, please let me know.

I consider this one of the best buys I've had come my way, as the cab is built like it should be; thick and solid. Should sound great with a decent tube head (which I am now searching for!)

Hopefully someone has heard of this brand.

• Members

It has a "Country" button!
:idea:

Yea, i can see it now, your jamming on some AC/DC and then the singer walks over to your amp and hits the "country button" ...instant Willie Nelson.

That second knob from the right looks like it says "Vibrato Phasing" ...that could be considered a Chorus. I'm guessing 1970's. and i'll bet the speakers have AlNiCo magnets. You could crank out some Creedence Clearwater Revival on that thing!

• Members

Well the amp was bought used in 1973-74. Its definetly not an 80's amp. And it definetly has a chorus button on it. I will pull a speaker, and try to get a date off something.

I'll post a better pic of the front tonight.

It does have the country/jazz/rock buttons, but they only adjust bass and treble presets.

• Members

So the plot thickens like gravy:

My slight case of O.C.D. made me tear apart the amp and cab today, to find more on the date it was made.

There is absolutely no date markings on this amp. Anywhere. :confused:

But I did discover a few things:

VR-CELESTION4.jpg

The Cab does have celestions in it (G 12 M's), which is alright by me. I have sent Celestion an email to see if by some long shot, they have a record of supplying Vibration Technology with speakers in the 60's and 70's.

Shot of the chorus/and steel guitar buttons

VR140HEAD1.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hey, I got one of those cabinets... model 4G12S, right? Has the same bumper around it as the head you posted. Unfortunately, someone swapped the speakers at some point:cry: but it is built incredibly well and mine was $100. A real sleeper. The dude that I bought it from said it was a traynor.

VTMthreequarter.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Just found this thread through BING and I'm not sure if it's still active. I moved into my house last year and the previous owner was a sound tech at NBC for 40 years. He left a bunch of equipment in the attic including this very model! I have a Vibration Technology Model: 4G12S and a Model: VR 140 Guitar Equalizer - including the chorus button....it's EXACTLY the way you describe.

I also have a Sony TC-330 Solid State Cassette Reel.

Please let me know what I can find out about these models and if you ever managed to get some good info.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I still have mine from 1974. 

It came stock with 4x12 Celestion Greenback 25 watt 16 ohm speakers that still sound great.

The three buttons above the middle knob were a notch filter  of sorts that they named "rock" "country" "jazz"

The rock had a pronounced mid range boost, country had a treble boost and jazz boosted the lows.

No chorus, but a vibrato circuit. There was a phase reversal switch that worked independently of in conjunction with the vibrato sweep to create a phase shifter sound.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Wow....talk about memories   😃   I was in an FM rock/AOR band called "August" from late 70's thru early 80's ...played all over the

place in Calif. during that time. I was one of two guitar players and bass, drums keys and lead vocalist filled out the rest. I came into

a small amount of $$ thru a family death during this time and I used it to buy a full stack VT setup with the same head as shown....except

mine had a Damping button where that "Steel Guitar" button is . This amp line had just came into Dan Howard's ALL STAR GUITAR in Napa, CA.

and I let him talk me into buying the two 4x12 bottoms and the head for a really good price....WITH the covers! Loved the way this amp sounded....

definitely had the best tube sound for a solid state amp that I had heard at that time....that damping button really did wonders for those celestions.

Our bass player was impressed enough to go back to Dan's and buy the VT bass head and 6x10 bottom.....then a week or two after that, our keyboard player

went to the same place and picked up the VT P.A./KB head and ran that into a full range bottom. The only holdout was our other guitar player

who stuck with his Marshall....lol.  Yea, Danny boy made some good money off of us, but that gear was well worth the money...very high quality and great sound.

.....and yea, all of their speaker cabs were built like tanks...wish I still had mine!  ;)

Archived