Laney VC30: 2x10 or 1x12 combo?

Exdeath

• Members

I'm really thinking of getting one. Any idea how much the 1x12 weighs? I know the 2x10 is around 22 kg, and I'm kind of interested in that too - I want something that's less bulky than my DC-5, which is like 30, and that's the main reason I'm not going for the 2x12.

How'll it sound different? I hear 10"s have less bass response, but I'm thinking with two it won't be a factor compared to the one 12". Also, which one will be louder?

• Members

I have the 1X12 combo, and it does sound pretty boxy and small. I just put it on the scale and it is 43 pounds on the nose. I dont know that I'd say one would be any louder than the other, but I'd tend to think that even with a bit less bass response(possibly, this might not even really be the case though), the 2X10 model would have a bit better coverage.

• Members

Hm. I see. Thanks!

The only other thing that worries me is about reliability - the reviews on HC for the VC30 aren't exactly that great re: needing frequent maintenance, breaking down, etc. I know it's probably just a Class A amp thing, but are those problems really that frequent?

• Members

I havent had any "real" problems with mine, does occasionally have some crackling in the clean channel volume pot, the only other thing that happened to mine, was that I grabbed it out of the band trailer one night and brought it inside to clean it up. Lightly wet a paper towel and started wiping down the chrome faceplate, was seeing dark crap coming off onto the paper towel, and thought man this thing was filthy, turns out it was the lettering for the controls wiping right off the faceplate. LOL other than that, thing sounds pretty good all around. nice sparkly clean channel, crunch channel is pretty good, but not enough nuts for me, I play in a hard rock cover band and it just doesnt quite get there without a pedal.

• Members

I know Laneys have a good rep, and they do sound good, but man, that price tag has always stopped me from buying one. That's pretty pricey for a 30W combo.

I bought one of these not long ago, and it just seems like so much more amp for the money:

374316.jpg

40W, two channels, Accutronics reverb, 1x12 (Vintage 30), 2 channels with independent EQ, FX loop, parallel out, etc.

• Members

Oh hell yeah, I'd never even consider buying a new one, thats an insane price tag. I bought mine used for 399 which was bad enough, but still manageable.

Yeah, I'd say that's a good deal, alright. :thu:

And I didn't actually buy mine. I traded for it. :)

• Members

Oh hell yeah, I'd never even consider buying a new one, thats an insane price tag. I bought mine used for 399 which was bad enough, but still manageable.

Yeah, I really want to pick one up used, but I don't seem them on the bay a lot. Do they pop up on spam often?

• Members

I had a Laney VC30 1X12 combo. I didn't gig, the amp only occasionally traveled, yet the cab was starting to show a lot wear and tear and the black tolex was even unraveling off the back. I wanted a little more distortion but prefer not to use pedals.

I sold it and eventually got a Mesa F-30. :love:

• Members

well basically, your faced with either getting a 1x12 which is cheaper and easier to replace later on but in return a slightly boxier sound. 2x10's sound a little bit louder and open but i cant find any decent replacement speakers. I have the 210 and imo the speakers dont need changing.

Archived