Pros and Cons of Being a Solo Artist

halfpower

• Members

Pros:

Artistic freedom (You have the only say as to what is or is not to be done)

You get all the credit. ;)

You make all the profit.

Cons:

If you get stuck, you're stuck. No one is there to say how about we do x, y, or z.

You take all the criticism.

You pay all the expense.

---

I would not say that the songwriting process is easier or more difficult when you are a solo artist, but definately different. Also artistic differences can lead to great things. Disagreeing with someone makes you examine very closley why you believe what you believe. Sometimes you find that you are right, and sometimes you find that you are not, and sometimes there is no right or wrong.

In my opinion, I much prefer to work with another person. I have found a couple of people with whom I work very well. I would not want to create art with just anyone though. I would rather work alone than with the wrong person.

Good luck.

• Members

To expand on artistic freedom a bit: you don't have to force band members to play stuff you've written when they *think* they are better than you. When I write, I explore a great deal of different song structures/melodies/harmonies and I know what works, what doesn't and, most importantly, what I *like*. Asshole musicians! They have no respect for composers. :D

But on the other side of that, its really damned hard to play the three other instruments you've written for in addition to your own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What are the pros and cons of being a solo artist?

Pros=No Band

Cons=No Band

Is the song writing process easier when more people are working on it?

Sometimes its easier to write with a group of people. As a soloist I have found the process easier and more enjoyable because I have freedom to write everything the way I want.

How much of a problem do artistic differences cause when a group works together on a music piece?

When I was in a band it was difficult to sing certain songs because the others who were the instrumentalists were writing melodies that were way too high for me and them! They were writing melodies their idols could sing. Then the other issue was they had other influences that I didn`t share.

I think the ideal situation is when all members have the same influences and everyone sings and plays an instrument because only then do you really appreciate the input of everyone.

• Members

A pro to being a solo artist is you do get to make the kind of music you want to and yes you would get more credit, but sometimes it is good to have a second opinion on how your song should go in some parts because you might like the change or something of that nature. But if you do decide not to be a solo act find people that want to do the same thing as you so you don't have to kick them out later. Same thing happened in my band when we were writing originals and our bassist kept making up stupid stuff that sounded like slipknot.

Archived