Peavey 412MS (I thought this cabinet was supposed to suck?)

• Members

I don't like that cab or the speakers it comes with (and yes, I've used the speakers "broken in" and such, lol...it has nothing to do with that...) But I don't like the Ultra Plus either though. :) It's all personal preference. So if you like the cab, be happy.

• Members

I have one. Excellent cabs. Take off the PV logo and you have a Marshall clone cab. White piping and grey pepper cloth look.

Im not fond of the 1230's that came in it and took out two and mixed em with Eminence Legends. Sounds a bit more dynamic to me now.

• Members

I just know, The 4x12 ms i played with the sheffields, And the metal grill, Sounded fucking great through my 5150, And an ultra plus. Better through the 5150 to be honest, It was better sounding than the xxl cab, but less better than the 5150 cab. All those come 2nd to my current jcm900 cab.

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 3/20/2008 at 1:17 AM, Iron Lotus said:

Peavey cabs don't necessarily suck, the speakers they load them with just blow.

Cmon mang. Shut the hell up with those shinanagins.

:mad:

Are you out of your mind. Peavey gear is the real deal.what planet are you own!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just so you know, You're responding to a 2008 Post. 

I'll agree with you however.  There's nothing wrong with the cab build quality that's going to stop it from sounding good.  The actual speakers?  Peavey's guitar speakers aren't bad. better then many budget speakers.  Their PA speakers are actually quite good depending on the type.  Guitar speakers are a matter of preference. 

Their early blackface cabs like this one I own is built to last. 3/4" plywood throughout.  Even its finish does one better then plain old Tolex. They use an epoxy coating that looks like Tolex but its more like that Truck Bed liner stuff.  I've had my cab for 25 years and not a scratch on it.  The Black magnet speakers in these weren't so hot however.  Many Manufactures, Ampeg, Sunn, Peavy and many others sold their cabs with 30W unbranded Eminence speakers. They didn't sound horrible but they didn't sound great either.  The ones in my cab had cracked surrounds so I repaired them with speaker glue.  They still work but like I said, the tone isn't exactly great.  

Related image

My Marshall slant 1960 cab with Cream-backs Forget it.  It blows the doors off those old eminence junk. 

I bought a newer Peavey speaker recently. It was out of one of their Full Range modeling amp speakers which as a frequency response that extends up to 10K or more.

I have two 8's like that as well.  I have the 12" in a cab with a regular guitar speaker but I haven't had a chance to use it live yet.  I been using multi effects pedals with amp modeling recently and the extended range on the speakers allows a closer facsimile to the original amps tones.  Its much like when I record direct using high fidelity studio monitors. Having a guitar amp with a similar High Fidelity frequency response allows the pedals to so all the EQ shaping and the amp simply acts as a monitor. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had a little Peavey Bravo years ago, it came with a sheffield, nice sounding little amp. I happened to have a vintage 30 laying around so I thought I'd do a swap speakers and honestly I barely noticed a difference between the two. :idk:

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 3/19/2008 at 5:27 PM, RaceU4her said:

it suprises me people can like those cabs because they are so rediculously awful imo, but then again people around here think mark iv's sound great :idk:

hmmm  did  you ever think it might be you  that is wrong ?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

This raceu4her has a big mouth and hates on anything peavey...my guess is that his ears are full of wax and his playing sounds like a fart through a wet paper bag...i bet he has never even owned a ms cab but just goes off his youtube diploma for his technical expertise...these cabs sound awsome once they are broken in and dimed out correctly...Marshall cabs are mostly made from wet toiletaper and have one sound,Nasal..the average person doesnt buy $3000 vintage cabs...