Peavey 412MS (I thought this cabinet was supposed to suck?)

wwx

• Members

Just picked up an old Sheffield loaded Peavey 412MS. This was the cabinet that was sold with the Peavey Ultra Plus head, which I recently acquired and fell in love with. I've heard lots of reviews from owners of the cab that it doesn't sound good and/or is cheap junk. The previous statement could not be further from the truth.

This thing sounds fantastic with my Ultra Plus running mono at 16 ohms. It helps to tame some of the insane bottom end the head gives off and it does this without muffling or chopping that part of the sound off. It also adds a bit of warmth to the clean channel. It's also very sensitive to the presence control of the amp, which is a wonderful thing if you play in a band and need your guitar to cut through. I can also crank my amp very loud with this cabinet and it does not distort/crap-out/buzz/vomit on the sound.

It also seems to keep the sound field of my rig pretty even. Some cabs sound completely different depending on where you stand in the band practice room. Not this thing, my sound is pretty consistent whether I'm standing up looking at the cab, facing to the side, or leaning down to fiddle with the amp. In this respect is reminds me of a good combo amp. I always hated finding a good sound while I'm leaned over, then I stand up and play and it isn't what I wanted. The position and distance of your ear from the cabinet can make a big difference and really fool you into dialing in the wrong sound but, this cab doesn't do that.

Maybe this thing does sound like crap when hooked up to non-peavey gear, or simply different amps but, the thing sounds fucking great with my 120 watt ultra plus head.

And @ $200 for one in good condition makes me love it even more.

• Members

They are good cabs dont care what anybody says..

If you are on a budget, those cabs are great. And look

cool too with the metal grill
:cop:

+1. I thought my sounded pretty good, and could easily hang with my JCM800 cabs. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

it suprises me people can like those cabs because they are so rediculously awful imo, but then again people around here think mark iv's sound great
:idk:

Sound great through an ultra and a 5150. Yeah it wasnt like my jcm 900 cab but it was damn good for the price.

I also like 5150 cabs :cop:

• Members

My brother has the 412MS, which he bought upon my suggestion to go with his old Heritage VTX head. It still has the stock speakers, and sounds great as far as I can tell. He just bought a Triple XXX and is keeping the 412MS. I have the 212M and 212MS (upright) that I'm also quite happy with.

I guess if someone wants to shell out three times the cash for a different logo on their cab, they can obviously feel free, but if you fully expect to bang your cab around at and en route to gigs, a logo and high-digit price tag won't hold it together any better.

• Members

Nobody in here is saying they are better than certain other cabs. WHy are you making the arguments. I specifically said if you are on a budget, The cabs are a good bargain, and sound alot better than other cabs in the same price range. Who the hell said they blow every other cab off the map, or who said "this band plays them"... NOBODY. All I know is ive played shows with one, And the other guitarist had one through his ultra plus, My 5150, We sounded just as good if not better than the guys playing through boogie heads and marshall cabs.

Ive even played an XXL cab and a 5150 cab at the same time, Sounded DAMN GOOD. My favorite cabs to date is the jcm900 with t75's I have now, And the 5150 cab I played couple years ago.

• Members

Nobody in here is saying they are better than certain other cabs. WHy are you making the arguments. I specifically said if you are on a budget, The cabs are a good bargain, and sound alot better than other cabs in the same price range. Who the hell said they blow every other cab off the map, or who said "this band plays them"... NOBODY. All I know is ive played shows with one, And the other guitarist had one through his ultra plus, My 5150, We sounded just as good if not better than the guys playing through boogie heads and marshall cabs.

Ive even played an XXL cab and a 5150 cab at the same time, Sounded DAMN GOOD. My favorite cabs to date is the jcm900 with t75's I have now, And the 5150 cab I played couple years ago.

Boogie heads and marshall cabs sometimes don't get along well anyway. Not in my case anyway....

• Members

What I've noticed today while playing through it is that it seems to really work with the ultra head very well. For instance, with 12AX7 tubes anyway, the active EQ seems very sensitive. If you just barely turn the knob it greatly effects the tone of my rig however, with the Peavey 412m/s it appears to give you a little more 'play' in the eq. The strangest thing about the cab, to me, is that it almost sounds stuffed but, I don't think these cabs were stuffed from the factory were they? I'd love to try out some different speakers though, possibly some of those Warehouse Speakers just to see how good this cab can sound.

I've heard this cab up to a few different heads a long time ago and remember them sounding harsh and raspy to my ears but, at least with my ultra, this cab sounds very good. I guess it only makes sense, since this was the cab that went with the head.

• Members

Couple of them had boogie cabs too.

I was just making reference. We sounded

just as good as those guys through

"cheaper" cabs/// and heads for that matter.

Oh, I certainly wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just stating my opinion based on my experiences. I am just not in love with the Mesa sound anymore...although the markIV sounds pretty good. I used to have a mark III combo that was nice, but my recto is on it's way out the door and so is the Marshall cab...

• Members

I wonder how many of you that constantly say Sheffields suck have ever played on a set that were well broken in?

Ya I didn't mind my stock sheffields in my PV 5150 cabs, I just wanted something a little clearer. That's why I went with a mixture of Veteran 30's and G12T-100's, but now I might remove the WGS Veteran 30's from my Cab and make them both full of G12T-100's. Such a cheap speaker :cry: but it sounds good to me.

• Members

I wonder how many of you that constantly say Sheffields suck have ever played on a set that were well broken in?

ive owned one in the past, and sold it as soon as i heard my rig at the time through a marshall. the drummer in my last band had one at his house where we used to jam, and compared to my other four cabs we had there it was beyond shitty sounding. like i couldnt even focus on playing it was so shitty

• Members

I have one and it sounds pretty good depending on the amp. . I liked to take it to gigs when I didnt wanna take the vintage Marshall cab. Seems to work best when running the POD XTL into the power section of my amp then running into the 412 MS.

For sale right now on Craigslist actually cause Im moving and dont wanna move it....excellent shape.

• Members

ive owned one in the past, and sold it as soon as i heard my rig at the time through a marshall. the drummer in my last band had one at his house where we used to jam, and compared to my other four cabs we had there it was beyond shitty sounding. like i couldnt even focus on playing it was so shitty

Your shit must have been blown.

• Members

I used to have the peavey 412M. I used with the the matching peavey transtube supreme head, it was pretty good for metal, other than that not so much. I tried my marshall DSL401 through it and wasn't that impressed. They might be good cabs, but at the time with those 2 amps the cab sure didn't prove itself. Maybe with the amps I have now I would differently. The nice thing is they are cheap, I paid $375 new and sold it for $275 :)