Tips for singing Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer...

TornadoShaunUK

• Members

anyone have any. It's quite a hard song to sing and my singer is struggling a little. This is a big sing and is one of the ultimate stadium rock songs to cover in my eyes and should get a good reception. I think it sung quite high, anyone know of any online resources that could possibly help with singing this song?

• Members

Bands will often drop a songs key for concerts, often tuning to Eb say, to give the singer a break. If he's having a hard time, I've heard of some going quite a bit below the key on the record.

The other thing you may want to look into is getting him some lessons if he hasn't already; straining to belt out a song will often result in damage, and/or losing your voice very quickly.

As well, he may just not have that range available to him as a singer. If he just doesn't have the voice, change the song. Make it a fresh arrangement - keep the power but make it new, and something that's easier for him to sing, at the same time.

In the end you may not be able to do any of these - bout all I can say then is to make sure he understands how to breathe (belly goes out, not in on inhale) and ensure he's supporting his voice by pushing out the air from his diaphragm when singing.

Think of droping *down* onto high notes, it helps, even if it's just in your mind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm far from being a big bon jovi fan but the last time I saw this 'live' on tv it was Richie Sambora singing the hard part (the 'woah-oh' after 'we're half way there) i dunno if he always sings that, but there you go, if someone else in the band can hit the notes, get them to do the 'woah-oh'!

• Members

in Eb (1/2 step tuned down)

Live, I believe Jon and Richie both sing the high part, which is sung (also original) in falsetto (not the whimpy type, but the rock'n'roll screaming powerful falsetto)

On the acoustic version, Jon goes down on the "ooohooohh" part in stead of up, leaving it much easier.

transposing 1/2 step down won't make things much different, you need at least a wholestep or two to make it easier.

I've been trying to practice my headvoice/falsetto and blend into a more powerful falsetto from a tiny Justin Hawkins (Darkness) into a Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sounding one. I guess I'm somewhere between, and need lot's more of practice.

The hardest part is the blending in between. I think the trick is a loud mic, sing soft on the lower notes and use your guts on the higher ones. I think the microphone proximity effects also can help getting a stronger sound.

Good luck!

• Members

Transposing the song is a good idea..not by tuning down the guitars, though, but by transposing the song into a different key, say D minor. (the original is in E minor, I believe). Singing is a bit more problematic than guitar playing. If a guitar player picks a song that he

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been seeing Bon Jovi the last 2 (3?) years they've come by. I don't think Jon (or in our house, we call him Jonny) can hit those notes anymore. At least he seems to stay away from them so he can last the night.

So I'd suggest ....

- change the melody slightly on the higher parts (he does!)

- make other members of you band sing the high woo-hoo's (he does! I think it's David doing those)

- don't do the 1 1/2 step modulation up, stay in E (or as others suggested, Eb)

Archived