Help with singing my new song

planet shh

• Members

So I was in a horrible mood today, and I got home and no one was here, so I sat down and wrote a song out of nowhere.

It's an acoustic song with vocals, which is super weird because I haven't touched an acoustic in months.

So anyways I was just singing away and it sounded so good.

Then one of the people I lived with came home so I went and took a shower. I was so excited about it that I called my friend and set up a time to come record the song with him this week.

After that I decided to show the song to the person that had come home.

I sang it horribly wrong, and then I asked him what he thought and he said, "The vocals sucked, but good idea."

I took it with a grain of salt and now I'm back here in my room trying to go through it part by part getting the melodies right, and I just can't seem to.

I can almost swear I was singing it right earlier, any input?

What can I do to get it right?

Was I just being dilusional earlier, or is it totally possible that once I started thinking about it I was just singing worse?

I know I've been downtown playing guitar for money before, and at those times after I get playing for a while my voice starts getting a lot better. Maybe I need to learn a new way to warm up? I don't really know, I took vocal lessons for about a month, but I couldn't afford them anymore. That was about a year ago. I just recently started playing my guitar non-stop and I've noticed my singing get way better since then.

I've always had problems with this. I've been told my voice is amazing, but then just now I was told to just give up on singing. Is it possible that I just can't sing and I'm crazy?

• Members

uh.....huh? he told you to give up singing?

keep a tape recorder on cue for every musical idea you ever have. you have a computer, so use the sound recorder on that - even better. i can't remember a single one of the melodies i come up with sometimes; my life is too goddamned hectic and i can't keep even the good stuff in my head. record everything. you'll thank yourself later.

about the singing, it's to be thought of like your playing - it has to be exercised.

alright, i gotta go. i'll respond to your response.

peace

ps. pontius is right - relax a bit

• Members

keep a tape recorder on cue for every musical idea you ever have. you have a computer, so use the sound recorder on that - even better. i can't remember a single one of the melodies i come up with sometimes; my life is too goddamned hectic and i can't keep even the good stuff in my head. record everything. you'll thank yourself later.

---------------------

+1:thu:

My handheld tape recorder is ALWAYS within reach. I don't erase anything until I've got a finished RECORDED multi-track recording of the song, and have burned that to CD. Then I erase my notes and move on.

One thing that has helped me is to just try to work on one song at a time. Right now I'm in songwriting mode for my band, and I'm being tortured by churning out about one or two songs a week, from start to finished CD. If you get hung up on line that is a little weak, take a walk, a drive, whatever, and keep thinking about it...then separate yourself from it...then try to think about it from all different angles (meanings, emotions, etc.).

It'll come.

If you play it for 3 people, and all 3 say it sucks, keep the idea, but TOTALLY rewrite the song...like you haven't heard it before. Then compare it to what you had the first time. Don't play the new version back for the same people, as they've been predisposed with an opinion of it.

Keep at it.

Anyone can play an instrument. Writing takes creativity to a different level.

• Members

hey well if that is your song then keep on writing i mean you have very strong feelings but your words in this song they dont make no sense at all to me i mean what words in you song dont match i mean like none of them when you write a song you got great potential and everything but your words suck they dont match so keep up the good work and write a song with actual words ok buddy i now you can do it

i mean make them sound like a poem oky doky

love always hilary-faye

Originally posted by planet shh

So I was in a horrible mood today, and I got home and no one was here, so I sat down and wrote a song out of nowhere.

It's an acoustic song with vocals, which is super weird because I haven't touched an acoustic in months.

So anyways I was just singing away and it sounded so good.

Then one of the people I lived with came home so I went and took a shower. I was so excited about it that I called my friend and set up a time to come record the song with him this week.

After that I decided to show the song to the person that had come home.

I sang it horribly wrong, and then I asked him what he thought and he said, "The vocals sucked, but good idea."

I took it with a grain of salt and now I'm back here in my room trying to go through it part by part getting the melodies right, and I just can't seem to.

I can almost swear I was singing it right earlier, any input?

What can I do to get it right?

Was I just being dilusional earlier, or is it totally possible that once I started thinking about it I was just singing worse?

I know I've been downtown playing guitar for money before, and at those times after I get playing for a while my voice starts getting a lot better. Maybe I need to learn a new way to warm up? I don't really know, I took vocal lessons for about a month, but I couldn't afford them anymore. That was about a year ago. I just recently started playing my guitar non-stop and I've noticed my singing get way better since then.

I've always had problems with this. I've been told my voice is amazing, but then just now I was told to just give up on singing. Is it possible that I just can't sing and I'm crazy?

• Members

christ, the weirdness of this thread's just got upped 500%... hahahaha.

anyway, here's the thing: if you can't post sound clips or at least the words for lyrics, no one here can give you very useful advice on any of the things you asked. get an account with soundclick / myspace etc, if you need a file hosting space..

Archived