Honest Brutal Opinions Please :) :)

• Members

Hey guys, I recorded this last Saturday using Cubase SX 3.1, Digitmax LT & Seventh Circle N72 Pre's and MOTU 2408 mkII. This is just a demo and I'd like some reviews on the song itself and/or the mix quality.

Lay it on me... I can take it !! [LOL]

THANKS A MILLION !!

MySpace Site: www.myspace.com/silentzband

Direct MP3 Download http://www.silent-z.com/band/music/01%20Echoing%202006.mp3 (right click and save)

• Members

you said to be brutally honest so here it goes. i'm not going to judge on the songs themselves being as it is not my style of music, but the instraments were sloppy and off at times. also, you have pitch issues with the vocals. terrible, just terrible. ( i've been watching to much american idol lately i guess.. sorry bro. ) sound quality is good enough for a home recorded demo. sounded decent.

• Members

Originally posted by gibson9778

you said to be brutally honest so here it goes. i'm not going to judge on the songs themselves being as it is not my style of music, but the instraments were sloppy and off at times. also, you have pitch issues with the vocals. terrible, just terrible. ( i've been watching to much american idol lately i guess.. sorry bro. ) sound quality is good enough for a home recorded demo. sounded decent.

Oh I hear ya, yea it was just a quick live recording after it was re-arranged and still new to everyone - I think this is take 3 after the re-write and we just blasted on. Hopefully the core ingredients might be good enough to go back and re-track everything and polish it all up.

Thanks for the comments and your time :) !!

• Members

I liked the energy of the tune first tune, the drums really kept it exciting.

In that part of the chorus where you sing "forever more" I'm not sure what note you are trying to hit. The second track had a Judas Priest kind of thing going on, and if your going to go in that direction your gonna have to sing the hell out of the song.

When I have these kind of vocal challanges in recording, what I sometimes do; is to record a scratch track where I play the vocal melody on guitar, so I know exactly what note I'm trying to hit when I lay down the vocal, then I'll go back and get rid of the guitar track after I nail my vocal.

• Members

I listened to the direct link and the first thing that hit me was "gee, somebody who knows that intros need to be short!" I kept listening: you've got a good structure overall. It's a good commercially-aimed song. If you post the lyrics it'd be easier to spot anything amiss. The only glaring thing that got me was the melody line on "nothing's a bore". Don't close on "bore" so low, go up and get some excitement.

• Members

Originally posted by Hugo H

If you post the lyrics it'd be easier to spot anything amiss.

Thanks for listening and your comments - We try to apply them to our next take and maybe it'll be better. Also, at your request the lyrics are below :)

ECHOING

INTRO

VERSE 1

Sitting alone in the dark, got the window wide open

Here an echoing bark from a dog down the street

Street lamps still aglow with the wind whistling louder

The moon flickers on and off as the clouds roll with a sweep

REFRAIN

I want to go where the sun never sets

I want to see the blue skies forever more

I want to go where the tide keeps rolling in

Where seagulls flap their wings and nothing