new song recorded. your thoughts greatly appreciated!

• Members

Hi All, wondered if anyone had any feedback about any aspect of my bands newest song which can be found at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=509813

would love to hear not just your thoughts on the song but also the production performance and instrment tone etc.

many thanks

Russ x

Please listen right to the end as thats the best bit! :-)

• Members

i dig it. i really like the range of your voice. i like the change. i got a little restless waiting for it, but that's just a personal preference. overall, good work, man.

also, the sound is extremely major and poppy, so i'm just going to assume you want to enter the pop market. in light of this, you should probably take a look at song length and get to the hook quicker. it got a bit long for the people you're going to attract as a fan base for this type of music

(that's just my opinion, but i'm a guy with his head up his ass!)

• Members

thanks bluesway... you guessed correctly that we are aiming for a poppy sound. Its aimed squarely at the kind of underground powerpop market (think jellyfish, Ben Folds Five, The Posies etc) although this is meant more as an experimental album track rather than a radio single hence we thought we could get away with over-egging the intro and outro :-) I personally think you are right that it should get going properly sooner but its such a nice groove in the intro that we sort of got carried away... I reckon i could chop off well over a minute for a radio edit anyway if we ever needed it!!

I still think it needs some more backing vocals on middle 8 and verses and maybe a few less on the chorus but overall im pleased with the sound of it.

Thanks again for the feedback

Rx

• Members

Well done! A lot of different parts, half-way through it had a very 70's AOR vibe to it. I felt the length also, but I've been guilty of that myself.

The only change I would suggest is that the vocal start out a little more subtly in the begining. I kind of dug the long mellow intro but when that vocal melody with all those high notes came in, it felt a little like getting hit with a cold bucket of water. I think you should work your way up to that melody part.

• Members

This song seems like it should sound a lot more interesting to me than it does. The parts are cool and seem to fit well together, but the overall effect seems too cluttered to me...the different catchy melodies seem to lose some effect being jammed in so closely together.

I think though that I might be missing the merit of the song as it is just because I don't like it very much. You guys are very good at what you do...so, long story short...I wouldn't listen to me if I was you.

• Members

I have to confess that ? agree with pontius:) when everything boils down to a matter of taste.

The song is well produced and arranged but totally slips out of my musical appreciation.the only part that slightly made my ears erect was towards the fourth minute which actually was a beatles diversion.

pop market is a place where god furnishes its temporary acoustics.wish you success with it but hope to hear something less devoutly amarous.

• Members

Hey Russ...I like your song, man. I like the way it modulates and I particularly like the chorus. It has a retro vibe and it sort of reminds me of Squeeze, for some reason. The vocals are strong & the background vox are pretty intricate. Overall, the instrumentation sounds good, especially the bass & keys. I would've liked to hear a little more rhythm guitar in the verses...the single chord strike worked, but it might be cool to hear a little more guitar activity leading up to the chorus...

Still, a well-crafted pop tune, to my ears...

:thu:

g-o

• Members

thanks man! :D

I cant believe you picked up on the fact i am a HUGE squeeze fan... maybe from some of the straighter pop songs we do in the band i could understand it but i really cant hear the influence in this track... but i guess it must be there

:)

very flattering for me to even be mentioned in the same breath as Mr Tilbrook and Co.!

thanks again

Russ x

Archived