Do you Pull up? (Floyd Rose content)

Rydock

• Members

On the two guitars I have with floating trems (one is a steinberger though, not a FR) I do go up as well as down, but do it by spinning the arm back and pushing down rather than pulling up. Just find it easier to control. I'm tempted to put one of those shorter stubby trem arms on for the same reason.

• Members

Get a brass block. Those things sound like a fixed all lead guitar, Expensive as shit but they do the trick. And you can still float
:evil:

Hey, good idea. I just checked out floydupgrades, and now it seems like my guitar is going to have a little upgrade in the near future. They are around $40, doesn't seem to bad......compared to the titanium version!!

What size would you recommend (differences)? This paired up with ESP tone springs would quite possibly be the best sustaining tremolo-equipped guitar ever.

• Members

I have two guitars with schaller floyds one has a tremelo stabaliser, the other is au natural I tend to not do a whole lot of trem abuse on the stabalised one which is more likely down to the emg's and me not liking them anymnore...and the other has passives which I love using...

I am much happier to do pull up's on my Schaller floyds than I have been on some cheaper trems, they often feel as if they will snap a string with the slightest increase of pitch......

The schaller's feel much more solid and I have no qualms about abusing it though I tend to use the vibrato as an extra in my playing rather than simply doing slayer esque extreme dives and raises...

Feels much nicer and smooter doing it slow...

I've also used the ZR trems with confidence and they dont suffer the same cheap feel of other trems on guitars that have cheaper lfrs...

• Members

I've also used the ZR trems with confidence and they dont suffer the same cheap feel of other trems on guitars that have cheaper lfrs...

yeah but they'll inevitably break when the LFR's won't. I know from experience...mine broke the day I was packing it up to send off to the guy who bought it. :cry:

• Members

I've got a Wilkinson vintage style trem on my Hamer Mirage, and I keep it floating so I can push down or pull up. As others have said, what's the point, otherwise? If I'm going to set the bridge flush against the body, I'll just go ahead and lock it down & put the trem bar back in the case & play it like a fixed-bridge axe (did that for the past few years, actually -- I've only recently gone back to the floating setup). I don't do anything like 80s style sound effects (don't have the technique), but I like the flutters, and I actually use the bar for vibrato sometimes, too (gasp, cheating! I know...)

:cool:

• Moderators

I had my Kramer routed out to float, but eventually I realized I was only using it to play Cemetary Gates in my practice room and do Steve Vai like warble/trills with it. When I took in to account what a pain in the ass it was to set up and maintain, and how changing a string at a gig was a pain, I decided screw it and had it blocked. :idk:

• Members

I had my Kramer routed out to float, but eventually I realized I was only using it to play Cemetary Gates in my practice room and do Steve Vai like warble/trills with it.
When I took in to account what a pain in the ass it was to set up and maintain
, and how changing a string at a gig was a pain, I decided screw it and had it blocked.
:idk:

I don't get it :confused:

Why are Floyds or any other tremolo hard to set up and maintain ? Tuning is a breeze once you've stretched your strings enough and the tremolo angle is set properly.

I admit that changing strings on the fly is a bitch and that's why I always bring 2 guitars to a gig.

• Moderators

I don't get it
:confused:

Why are Floyds or any other tremolo hard to set up and maintain ? Tuning is a breeze once you've stretched your strings enough and the tremolo angle is set properly.

I admit that changing strings on the fly is a bitch and that's why I always bring 2 guitars to a gig.

Just was more trouble than it was worth to me. :idk:

:(

I am lazy. :eek:

• Members

I always pull up on my JEM and hold the guitar by the whammy bar. It results in a broken bar sometimes, but if you are playing for a girl that knows nothing about guitars it looks cool and she will certainly give you a blowjob

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Yep. I have a Jackson Kelly JS32 and I have the version with the Floyd. I kept it floating so that I could use the bar both up and down. I mainly pull up for vibrato at the end of a phrase or if I do dives the way Dime did them. Otherwise I only use the bar whenever I feel like I need too. I also do flutters from time to time as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

With my Trem equipped Strats I like to have the trem capable of a full step pull up.

I commonly use them for that.  It screws a tad with your tuning stability for long string bends

but with a little "feel" practice it's doable.  Floyds I could never bond with as I often rest my wrist on the bridge and it both feels weird and

seems too easy to mess up the pitch of your axe whilst in action.  Other than that I'd love that style of trem.

Archived