Need Honest Opinions Please :)

• Members

I need a moment of your time to let me know what you think of this song. My band "Silent-Z" is in the process of recording a new album and this is one of the songs. It's a rough mix and the bass needs to be re-done and we're adding some more vocals and an effected guitar.

Please give me your honest opinions I can take it !

BTW - I am playing the bass, all guitars, recorded it and mixed it myself. I also wrote the music.

Thanks everyone!!

Direct MP3 Download- right click and 'save target as'

MySpace Site

• Members

well, let me start by saying that the song itself is pretty cool and i dig the singer's voice. the verse melody is the coolest thing for me, but the doubled/harmonized chorus is pretty cool, too. (though, i'd clean up the second voice a bit more and bury it in the mix better - it gets flat - especially on the out chorus and it sits at the same volume for the chorus - taking from the chorus melody; not adding to it like it was intended) i don't know how i feel about the spoken-word thing after the guitar solo. it comes off to me as a bit cheesey, but that's just my taste versus yours. if you like it, you go, man.

now, since you said it's not a demo, but for an album, i'm going to be really straight with you: it sounds extremely amateurish for an album cut.

the sure-fire way to sound ameteur is by not keeping time well, and i would say that there's some real timekeeping issues throughout - starting with the guitar doing the palm mutes in the intro with the drum track, through the bass tripping over the sixteenth fills, all the way to the last out chorus. there's all-around timekeeping weakness, so in truth, the real culprit is the drums, man. it's a really weak drum foundation for the rest of the parts to build on.

if i were producing this album, i would make the drummer re-record and shed on a metronome for two weeks before the studio date. dont get me wrong: he sounds like a good drummer, but he's truly all over the place with his internal clock. his ideas are exactly what they have to be for this music. he's very appropriate, just not precise enough. (don't go firing the drummer, though. this guy can do it - he just needs to really practice)

as far as drum mistakes are concerned, there are a lot of them, but the ideas are pretty decent - IMHO. the only place that i truly "disagree" with his concept is coming out of the guitar solo. besides being really out of time and sloppy, the idea isn't working - some cut time, some 4/4 - it doesn't sound artistic to me, but maybe a bit unsure. he should commit to one feel there

every other instrument would be a lot tighter (theoretically) if the drum track is solid. there were timing issues in every instrument, but the drums might have caused that.

i hope i helped rather than pissed of a drummer. i wish you guys good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hmmm... can i just ask, is this an album that you are recording with serious intentions of commercial release or just an album / collection of songs for your own amusement or for posterity?

If its for commercial release I agree with bluesway Im afraid. The drums are a bit on the sloppy side and its affecting everything else... If the drummer is unable to play to a click (and theres no shame in this as it is VERY rare drummers can do this precisely) perhaps you could try recording live to get that tightness even when there are slight variations in tempo. at least everyone will be varying together!

To me it sounds almost as if the drummer has tried to play to a click and failed, so when hes off time hes had to speed up and slow down to try and tuck back into the click. It sounds like hes sort of overcompensating for falling behind or racing ahead of the click track. Oh and definitely ditch the pattern coming out of the solo as Bluesway suggests

I would try and find a space where you can record the backline live, with minimal overspill between instruments where you can all keep eye contact and that should help. then sack the click and let the drummer do his thing... imho, tempo variations are not necessarily a bad thing if the whole band are in on them

I also have a few issues with the vocals on the chorus Im afraid. pitching is a little off here and there and the mix and positioning (panning) needs a lot more work. Personally I would probably try to re do vox here and also layer up the harmonies more for a thicker sound.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful... and dont just think im getting in on the drummer bashing! ;)

Keep at it and im sure youll get something you dont need to ask people here for opinions on as you'll KNOW is top drawer!

Best

Russ x

• Members

MAN, IT SOUNDS GOOD.

BETTER THAN MY SHTUFF!

ALL I CAN SAY THAT MIGHT HELP ANYBODY OUT THERE IS:

I GOT THE CHANCE TO TALK TO A GUY IN CLEVELAND BY THE NAME OF STEVE POPOVICH.

LOOK HIM UP, HE KNOWS.

ANYHOW, I CRASHED HIS HOME YEARS AGO, AND HIS ADVICE TO ME WAS "IF YOU ARE GOING TO WRITE SONGS, THEY BETTER BE STRONG!!!!"

GOOD LUCK,

JIM

• Members

THANK YOU ALL for your input... all 7 band members thank you as well. There is an updated MIX I put up last weekend based on some comments and suggestions so let me know what ya think. We will be re-doing the drums and bass performce soon and we will also fix the pitch problems on the vocals. In the new mix I think the main vocals are to loud in the new mix and I might have taken the crunch guitars down to much. The added acoustic sounds pretty cool though, however, there is a weird effect during the bridge from the acoustic... nothing is on it... not sure why it sounds like a cell phone or something at every strum!

http://www.jerseyjam.com/silentz/

I thought I list the recording gear used on this recording:

Note: All Presonus Digimax Pre-amps used except where noted. Recorded at 48k 24 bit using a MOTU-2408mkii

DRUMS

PEARL BRX 8 Piece 6ply Birch Set:

KICK - Audix D6

SNARE (Ludwig Brass on Brass Black Beauty 14x5 w/tube lugs)- SM57

TOM 1 (8") AKG - C 535 EB

TOM 2 (10") Audix D2

TOM 3 (12") Audix D2

TOM 4 (14") Audix D4

TOM 5 (16") Audix D4

TOM 6 (18") Not Mic'd

MAIN RHYTM GUITAR (1)

Fender Strat through a POD 2.0 Rack

CRUNCH GUITARS (2)

1974 Les Paul Deluxe w/ full size humbuckers

2000 Mesa / Boogie Trem-O-Verb 100Watt 2x12 Combo on the Red channel.

SM57 close mic'd

LEAD GUITAR

Fender Strat through a POD 2.0 Rack

Performance actually snipped from a previous version and pasted in.

VOCALS (all)

Ampex 460 mic modified (DIY) tube

Seventh Circle N72 Pre-amp

ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Taylor 6 string

Shure SM81 w/ bass roll off on

Seventh Circle N72 Pre-Amp

Archived