CELESTION 70/80 --> GREENBACK ??

bmast160

• Members

I have a crate v3112 with the stock celestion 70/80 in it...i was thinking about changing it out...possibly to a Celestion G-12M Greenback...

wondering what you think? comparisions of the sounds of the a 70/80 and a greenback? any other speaker suggestions?

i know the new ones come with tone tubby speakers and i was considering that too but i think it might be a little too smooth sounding...i just use the amp on the overdrive setting and use another amp for clean. what you think?

• Members

I have a crate v3112 with the stock celestion 70/80 in it...i was thinking about changing it out...possibly to a Celestion G-12M Greenback...

wondering what you think? comparisions of the sounds of the a 70/80 and a greenback? any other speaker suggestions?

i know the new ones come with tone tubby speakers and i was considering that too but i think it might be a little too smooth sounding...i just use the amp on the overdrive setting and use another amp for clean. what you think?

It's a 30 watt class A amp, so as long as you don't crank it all the way a 25 watt Greenback should be good, maybe a Vintage 30, 60 watt.:idea:

• Members

It's a 30 watt class A amp, so as long as you don't crank it all the way a 25 watt Greenback should be good, maybe a Vintage 30, 60 watt.
:idea:

1) I really doubt it's actually class A. Doesn't really matter, anyways.

2) If you crank it, it's going to be OVER 30 watts. There's no telling when it's actually putting out 25. The speaker should be able to take more, but who is to say how much? I have heard of people blowing the regular Greenbacks. If you ever turn the amp way up, I wouldn't risk it.

3) Something with higher power handling would be ideal, but please don't put a Vintage 30 in that amp. :cry:

• Members

man!!! I play in a LOUD cover band, and I could not imagine being in a situation where I'd run my 30 watt combo full bore???? Thats my clean tone, I use my 50 watt Plexi stack or my Quick Rod for dirt most of the night, but I begin the night with my Laney VC-30 combo for some of the cleaner stuff, and pump some pedals into it for dirtier stuff for the first set or so. 30 watts of tube amp is loud as hell, who runs em full out???

• Members

There is youtube vid with a greenie in a Palomino V32 and it rocks.

yeah...i saw that.

i think the greenback will sound great in it but i dont want to mess with a different wattage...what specs should the speaker that i put in there be? any recommendations on something similar to a greenback that i could put in? does celestion make something similar that i could put in?

• Members

3) Something with higher power handling would be ideal, but please don't put a Vintage 30 in that amp.
:cry:

what would you recommend instead....i saw that warehouse speakers has "the reaper" which is supposed to be a 30watt version of a greenback(apparently it has a little more bass and doesnt break up as much?..which might be bad since i only use the amp on the overdrive channel)...what about the celestion G12H:freak:

i think the greenback will sound great in it but i dont want to mess with a different wattage... any recommendations on something similar to a greenback that i could put in? does celestion make something similar that i could put in?

• Members

a 30w will never screw up a good 25w speaker

a low wattage speaker will sound louder and meaner in this amp than 60+ watts speakers

breaking up a greenback only makes it sound better and clearer, not any harsher or thinner

the vintage 30 only sounds good and open to my ears when it gets broken up and it requires an extremely loud volume, so i wouldn't recommend it for this amp

the g12h30 is a great speaker too, so i believe this reaper can do a great job too

• Members

a 30w will never screw up a good 25w speaker

a low wattage speaker will sound louder and meaner in this amp than 60+ watts speakers

breaking up a greenback only makes it sound better and clearer, not any harsher or thinner

the vintage 30 only sounds good and open to my ears when it gets broken up and it requires an extremely loud volume, so i wouldn't recommend it for this amp

the g12h30 is a great speaker too, so i believe this reaper can do a great job too

It's easy to make bold claims like that when it's not your equipment on the line.

As to the claim that a low wattage speaker will sound louder and meaner than a 60 watt speaker, the only possible response is :freak:

• Members

k. ive narrowed it down to putting this or a similar speaker in a crate v3112. what are your comparisons between the celestion classic g12h30, the celestion heritage g12h30 and warehouse speakers' reaper...or another similar speaker

• Members

i think the greenback will sound great in it but i dont want to mess with a different wattage... any recommendations on something similar to a greenback that i could put in? does celestion make something similar that i could put in?

Just to respond to this, the Splawn/Eminence Small Block 25 is based on the Greenback (hence "25") but is actually rated at 55 watts AFAIK.

• Members

30 watts of tube amp is loud as hell, who runs em full out???

I do it all the time.

X watts of like any amp is "loud as hell" when it's turned up some. It doesn't matter if it's 5 watts or 100 watts. That's the farkin point of guitar amplifiers. After that, it's just various types and amounts of power amp overdrive.

Have you ever even tried turning it up all the way? Most amps, regardless of their power rating, stop getting any louder at about halfway, if not before. It's not like you're going to instantly implode your ear drums.

• Members

The vintage 30 is a bit more sensitive than the greenback, so it should be a bit louder, all things being equal. I think the greenback would be ok as far as power is concerned. If you blow it up, don't blame me though :D

• Members

his amp is 30w

a low watt speaker will OBVIOUSLY be pushed a lot harder than a high watt

:wave:

Pushed harder is not the same as "louder and meaner". As it would be pushed to the limits of its power handling capacity and as a greenback isn't that efficient compared to some other speakers, it would likely be noticeably less loud than a more efficient, higher wattage speaker.

Archived