whats the next chord?

• Members

yeah so i can often come up with a bitchin riff on the guitar or a cool stomping bass and drum groove or a badass loop but i have trouble coming up with the next section...god knows how ive gone on all these years (by not being very prolific:freak:)

usually i just mute all the melodic instruments keep the beat going and just jump into a new chord or bassline...very hit and miss...or else sing melody and try to let it guide where the chords should go

i want to know how the harmonic makeup of the current chord/loop/riff dictates where the song should go if that makes sense...

i would also like the minimum amount of theory if possible

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by chuck sabbath

i want to know how the harmonic makeup of the current chord/loop/riff dictates where the song should go if that makes sense...

those two sentiments don't coexist very well together, bro!

you had a good idea here, though:

sing melody and try to let it guide where the chords should go

if you're not intent on getting a stronger theory background, i'd stick with that way and stop trying to make so much sense. let the melody really be your guide. thousands of great songwriters start with a hook melody and build around it despite a lack of theory knowledge. it's a formidable and justified approach

• Members

I definitely agree you should let the melody dictate wherever possible but if you dont have an idea for a melody i quite like the idea of just jumping to a new chord. as you say i dont doubt its hit and miss but i bet you find some nice changes that way that i would never think of.

More often than not I have fallen into the trap of using very standard techniques such as using relative major or minor chords or raising from a minor to major chord to change the key into a new section and after a while it feels like im not doing anything new. Obviously theres something to be said for these techniques else they wouldnt be so common but it can get a bit predictable

I think im going to give your technique a whirl. i reckon that almost any chord change, no matter how jarring, could be made to sound slick if you put the right melody over it. might just pick chords out of a hat! :-)

can you send a chord progression that you have come up up with in this way that you are pleased with? Id be keen to hear it...

Good luck

russ x

• Members

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that this does not work. However here goes.

Try playing around on the relative minor key of the song as opposed to the key. Or just the opposite if written in a minor key; use the relative major.

Example: If in the key of C, try writing the b section in A minor or the vii chord of the key. Play with the tonality and see what you come up with.

The other thing is to use the IV chord to build the b section upon.

Play with this tonality a experiment.

Archived