New recording interface = new songs

eagle1

• Members

Hello.

So, I got a Recording Interface for Christmas (a Lexicon Omega Studio) for fairly cheap and have recorded a couple of "songs".

Now, I wrote "songs" because I don't feel they are complete yet.

I have to grow lirically pretty bad.

It's like I have the ideas, I have the material but somehow I can't

organize all these feelings, all the anger, etc.

Anyway, I would love some critique! :p

I'll be posting an English one and a Spanish song.

Let me know about the recording quality (that's why I

bought the Omega), what do you think

of the chord progression, what do I need to improve

or you can just tell me to shoot myself but give me a reason

why I should!!!!!! hehehehe :p

Also, how do you organize your thoughts?

Do you do it chronological, what flows and what doesn't, etc.

http://gelocks.topcities.com/Music/I_kind_of_Hate_you.mp3

http://gelocks.topcities.com/Music/Olvidar_no_puedo.mp3

Thanks.

• Members

listening and typing -

hate you -

not a bad song, man. it was very mid-stream pop rock/alt punk. i like the simple melody and i thought the chord progression was pretty good. nothing new, really, but always catchy and it had the nice major-to-minor movement that i tend to like. the dueling vocals thing was cool, too, but i'd look at some of the rhythms in the second voice. "no eran pega'o, 'mano!" (as my drummer says) more on that later.

there were some simple things in this recording that took away from the song. it's a commonly-held fact that a good song holds up very well with just an acoustic and a voice. many demos are done with that for pitch or for promotion. the recorded sounds of the vox and acoustic sound very good, but the that electric needs to be redone. in fact, in light of what i just said, you might want to rethink putting electric in this tune for now altogether. it's obviously appropriate in the song, but maybe not in this version. without the necessary drums, the distorted guitar just makes the whole project sound amateur to me. you should probably hold off on the distortion for the full-band version.

another easily-repairable thing that was making this tune sound a bit like an amateur project is the timekeeping. it sounds to me as if you didn't record this to a metronome and for that, it's really all over the place. i think the said singing/rhythmic issues would be fixed automatically if you had, but the guitar rhythm was in at the wrong places a lot and it threw everything else off.

lyrically, like you said, there's room for improvement, but it's not too far off from the stuff that's hitting in pop punk/rock now. i'd fix my rhythmic problems first and foremost; see what comes of a redo.

well, that's it for now. i'm off. i think you should save your bullet for now instead of using it on yourself (maybe it would be put to better use on one of our brilliant politicians down here in PR) - is that why you said you're so angry? lol (at least you have {censored}ing water this weekend in guayama - not in the beautiful area metro)

• Members

I was checking out your song but it wasn't playing very well. It kept starting and stopping. :( But what I heard sounded good. I just got the Lexicon Omega about 2 or 3months ago and really enjoy it. I should have my new songs on here soon that I have recorded with it. What type of software are you using with it?

• Members

Thanks for your comments bluesway!

but the that electric needs to be redone. in fact, in light of what i just said, you might want to rethink putting electric in this tune for now altogether

This was done with the acoustic and a VST was applied ;)

It was just to get a sense of what could be done to make

the song "stronger". But yeah, I tend to agree with your statement.

another easily-repairable thing that was making this tune sound a bit like an amateur project is the timekeeping.

DAMMIT!!! lol

I really don't know how you guys figure this out.

Do you clap to get the time or something!?!?! hehehe

I have always had a problem using the metronome so I don't use

it. Guess I need to spend more time with it.

Is this problem that obvious?!?

is that why you said you're so angry?

If I had the resources, I would probably create a socially-fueled song a la Bad Religion or maybe even Puya in order to properly express my dissatisfaction with this freaking country... but ... it is our country! :(

BTW, let me know if you checked the other song out.

Thanks.

Geno_xl.

You can right-click and save as.

Anyway, I'm using the Cubase LE that came with my Lexicon Omega. It seems to do the job but it is a full featured package and I have not learned many of the features yet. It does looks like a powerful tool. I was using Sound Forge before this so the differences are huge.

• Members

olvidar . . -

nice song, man! really pretty. i like when it kicks in. the same timekeeping issue applies in the fingerpicked part (which i like a lot, too), but no need to review what i said before. "que se joda el corazon" lol. that {censored}'s funny, but i don't know how it would go over. (and i think this song could go over well) granted, though, i have NO EAR for latin rock lyrics and i'm still trying to figure out what the hell's up with a lot of latin rock i hear down here. (yeah, i'm a northern-implant gringo in PR; the wife's the puertorrican. mmmmm...PR women...sorry) back to the point:

i liked what you were trying to do; going from that up part with the strumming abruptly back to down with the fingerpicking for the out, but it felt a little 'copy/pasted' to me. maybe letting the guitars ring into that down part would transition better - you have a multitrack recording program now - anything's possible! you can fix it in the re-record you do with the metronome! LOL (yeah, im an ass!:wave: )

okay, i definitely like this song better than the other for its movement, but let's nit-pick now. the first thing is your voice. it feels like you're pushing more than singing; like, trying to make a cool-sounding phrase by coloring your singing artificially. i think you should 'naturalize' it; if even just a bit. (i like affecting your voice for "coolness" purposes - listen to my {censored}, man!, but it's a little too much for me here.) i suspect that if you sing this song five times every day for two weeks and then re-record the vox, it will come out much more naturally and that would be a HUGE improvement from where i'm sitting. i noticed it a bit in the english tune, but it's more here.

the other issue would be the guitar's unnatural sound. it sounds like you have a decent vocal mic. i'd try micing the guitar with it and seeing what you get - your sound felt a bit piezo-y to me.

well, that's it, man. post again when you can. i'm a {censored}ing loser; i'll be here

• Members

Thanks for your great comments bluesway!

I definitely need to practice more with the metronome so I'm sure

I will re-record them in the future.

For that second song it was my first time singing it (I had the idea while making it but had never sang it, in fact, I don't even like to sing!) But will try your suggestions.

Also, the guitar "sound" on the second song is probably the "chorus" effect I applied.

Is that what you mean by the sound being piezo-y?

And finally to you or anyone else, I really want to get better lirically so again I ask,

How do you organize your thoughts?

Thanks!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Ok.

So I updated the second song there (Olvidar no Puedo).

I recorded it WITH A METRONOME!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

It only took me about a year. ;)

Let me know if it's better now.

So bluesway, if you are out there, here you go.

I also added another vocal track I believe.

http://gelocks.topcities.com/Music/Olvidar_No_Puedo_Fixed_160.mp3

Thanks.

• Members

Well, seems the song seems to be having some problems on the other server, I put it up on soundclick.

Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=639185&songID=5268771

Let me know if there are still problems with it.

Thanks.

P.S. The second song there is new and in English but I'll probably make another post for that one later in the week or the month ;)

• Members

Well it doesn't sound english to me.

What are you looking for again? Comments on the song, or the recording?

:lol: hehehe

yeah, it's in Spanish.

Just the recording overall.

In the first post I made there is the original version of the same song.

Notes were made that the timing was all wrong, etc. etc.

So I used a metronome this time and wanted your opinion on the differences.

I believe I did a good job staying in time now! ;)

• Members

Also, how do you organize your thoughts?

While writing, I scribble down all my ideas/phrases in a notebook, and put whichever of them fit together.

Writing a song line after line, verse after verse, can't get boring and frustrating, and half the time songs written this way never get finished.

Archived