What the heck is a Peavey "Mace"?

K-Bizzle

• Members

I found this thing sitting covered in dust, with no price tag at a small little corner shop music store (you know the kind that only carry brands like crate, G&L and cort because GC screwed them).

Anyway it had 6 powertubes (looked like 6L6) and I couldn't see any preamp tubes (not saying there weren't any, just couldn't see them). The tubes were groove tubes and they looked somewhat newish.

Anyway it looked like it was 2 channels and 120 watts.

It was a Peavey and all it said on it was "Mace".

There was no price what so ever on it, so should what is this thing?

Junk?

Or a potential awesome deal?

• Members

If its anything like a Heritage, It will have a nice clean tone. The preamp is Solid State and is one of Peavey's earlier designs. Basically, it sucks. You could always get it and slave the power amp with a good preamp. You may want to bias the power tubes hotter, peavey was notorious for biasing these types of amps ice cold (which would explain why my brother's power tubes in his heritage lasted 20 years, then he sold it.)

• Members

I found this thing sitting covered in dust, with no price tag at a small little corner shop music store (you know the kind that only carry brands like crate, G&L and cort because GC screwed them).

Anyway it had 6 powertubes (looked like 6L6) and I couldn't see any preamp tubes (not saying there weren't any, just couldn't see them). The tubes were groove tubes and they looked somewhat newish.

Junk?

I have one.

It's a 160 watt (the deuce was 120), 212, hybrid combo. It was the flagship in the line that included the Mace, the Deuce, and the Classic. They were made in the late '70's, and were most widely known as being the amp Rossington used live.

I used to use mine as a power amp and cab by hooking a j-station into the backside of the effects loop. It sounded pretty good, actually.

The amp by itself sounds OK...nothing spectacular, but solid, flat, usable, Peavey tone. Definitely a usable amp for southern rock and country.

The downside(s) of these amps, in my experience:

Mine came factory with Black Widows, which means that the thing has to be INCREDIBLY loud in order to start working the speakers to really get decent tone out of them.

It is heavier than HELL...seriously...if you're going to gig with it, a hand truck or wheels will save your back.

I paid $150 for mine about 7 years ago.....I don't think I'd give much more than that for one if I had to do it again.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Junk?

Didn't Gary R use them in the band's early days?

• Members

holy thread resurrection batman!

anyway I'm sure that head is long gone.

Looked like a POS, but I don't know crap about vintage so that doesnt mean that it is ya know?

LOL, I tend to do this when I'm searching the forum for stuff. I forget to check the dates before I post in them...

• Members

....the amp of choice of Lynyrd Skynyrd......think Gary Rossington still uses them. Some Peavey amps from the late 70's into the early 90's are some of the best kept secrets in gear.

Pretty sure they're using XXX's(stacks) and Classics(combo's) now, at least on the most recent tv appearances I saw.

Archived