crit my band

Zell

• Members

The drums are terrible. Everything has timing issues. The tone on the guitar during the opening riff (w/ a phaser?) is hard to listen to--it goes in & out.

That said, there are some good ideas--I like the different parts, they just aren't well rehearsed or well recorded.

• Members

wow...this is really amateur in it's presentation. hearing the first one, i wouldn't try depending on the listener 'getting the idea'....i'd redo the recording and i really don't know if that drummer is worth keeping - his meter is beyond suck. damn, i sound like a dick, but it's true. (not my intention)

redo... i can't even hear the songs. i would like to hear you guys do a better job. you obviously have the chops and ideas; let's present them with a bit more discipline.

• Members

NuMetal often incorporates tempo changes throughout the song, but for tempo changes to work the band needs to be rhythmically extremely tight.

You guys (especially the drummer) are not tight.

Try playing along with a click track for a while. If the song requires tempo changes and your click track is not sequencer based, record the various sections seperately with a click track at the proper tempo for that section and then splice them toghether with fills.

And if you are playing live, please do not be extremely loud.

• Members

Well,

I actuallly thought that the music wasn't half bad if you were just jammin'. If you were actually tryin to do studio work than it is lacking a bit :freak: But overall, I thought it was quite good:thu: ...go ahead call me crazy:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Zell

r the drums really that bad and if they are can u tell me more specifically where

i'll say good things first; i think a lot of rhythm ideas are excellent, and i can see that the drummer guy has a lot of ideas.

the problem is, his technical ability is nowhere near the level where he can actually execute his vision. you asked for specifics, but honestly i don't think there are any. the rhythm is *very* unstable from the start to the last note.

the best thing you guys can do is, while keeping on doing what you are doing, add a good amount of basic practise. you guys are doing/making materials way too advanced for your own good. pick a few good but very simple rock songs, and play them all over again, and if possible, to a click.

right now, the drummer is trying to run when he can barely crawl. which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, because it means that he most probably does have a will to run. like i said, just keep at it on the basic 8 beats *for now*.

• Members

Is there some reason the worst aspect of the band (drumming) is so dominate in the mix?

It all sounds disjointed. Like no one is playing to/with anyone else. I can hear ya'll moving together but it's like nobody is arriving at quite the same time. I think the bass line is way too weak.

You need a hook. A strong signature lick or theme that you return to periodically during each song, otherwise it just wanks aimlessly and all the songs sound the same.

• Members

I listened to Sanity.

Sorry man, that drummer is {censored}ing awful, badly out of time, and {censored}ed up quite a few times, in particular he seemed to over run the rolls time and time again.

I think you guys need to learn to play in time with each other, practice a lot more.

BTW, the guitar sound like it was recorded in a toilet, really weak sound.

That sounds really negative doesn't it? Sorry, there's lots of good ideas there, I just don't think you have the ability to pull them off yet.

• Members

ive put this link on a couple of forums and they all said the drums were really good now i come here and everybody says that the drums sucks whats GOING ON and no talks about anything other than the drums

:evil:

• Members

ive put this link on a couple of forums and they all said the drums were really good now i come here and everybody says that the drums sucks whats GOING ON and no talks about anything other than the drums

Hey, the drums are pretty week in my opinion. What other forums did you post it on? Try the drum forum... ok, better not.

Maybe some speficics: at around the 34th. second of Sanity. The drummer does a fill, or a drum roll and it get's back out of beat, or at a very odd and progressive beat that I cannot understand. This happens all over.

Hey, it reminds me of my first drummer. Actually that 34th second bit sounds a lot like what he did in one of our songs. He was very, very creative, and after a while he did become very good. But he had to practice a lot. In a way, it's ok, better to have imagination and ideas, technique you can always work to get it.

Sorry for only commenting the drums, it just jumps out in front of the whole thing.

• Members

Ok. I know this has been touched already, but get your drummer playing to a click track. Not only in the recordings but even on his own time when he's just playing around by himself. It works more wonders than you'd think. Before I started messing with a click track, I was probably doing some of the same stuff he was doing, like running rolls over the end of the measure and the like. But once you become accustomed to playing with a click, you'll always be in time and you'll always know exactly how much time you have to complete that roll.

Now as for playing with the click itself to save a few hardaches, the forefathers of drumming always say to try to make the click dissapear when you're playing with it. Meaning the click would only be heard when you're off time.

Pardon my rant, but I hope this helps.

• Members

I listened to Sanity...

I thought it sounded great in the beginning...a little rough on the distrorted part but the opening riff was pretty cool. Then the drums started. Your drummer sounds like he's actually got some skills but he doesn't play in time consistently and apparently has trouble keeping a beat for any period of time...he compensates for this by continually changing the part hes playing. It becomes confusing and often drags right after (what should be) a buildup to a more interesting part.

I like the part that comes in around 1:50 but then again, the drums join in and it really starts to fall apart.

I listened to about 10 seconds of the next song but the guitar was too "squeally" and the drums were horrible.

I think the most important thing for you guys to do is PRACTICE.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Dude... You just posted this link for a bunch of people that all play instruments and some very very well...

Yes your drummer has NO concept of time, and yes your recording quality over all is poor. This is a fact, not an opinion.

You guys need practice...

Im not trying to be mean but you all sound like you have been playing for 2 years, maybe less, and this is your first band.

Archived