song block

xbs13

• Members

Originally posted by xbs13

im new to writing music and i am haveing trouble with song block(writers block for songwriters)

Whenever I get writer's block, I have to go and do something else. Sometimes I have to not even think about music for days at a time before I can come back to it. However, sometimes I just start a new piece and find that when I come back to the original piece I am ok. Really, best suggestion is just walk away for a day and see what that does for you.

Good Luck.

• Members

If you're just beginning, you don't have writer's block. You have to BE a writer before you get writer's block. Instead, you are the writing equivalent of "{censored} shy".

The reason it is hard to get started is that you will not start out writing very impressive stuff. You will either get discouraged and give up, or you will feel the challenge and go for it. The only solution, though, is to suck it up and go for it.

Here's an analogy--if you were to start body building, you're going to start out as a skinny/chubby twerp. You're going to clank away with the pink dumbells, do the one-plate lift on the machines, and hyperventilate on the treadmill. Anybody who is in shape now was out of shape before they started.

So--you will be embarassed by what you produce when you produce it, but if you keep at it, in a few months you'll be able to look back and say, "Jeez, that song I wrote then is EVEN WORSE than what I'm doing now!"

Good luck, and come back. We all love it when a beginner makes it feel like we know what we're talking about.

• Members

I'm really confused. You're first post said you were new to writing music. The post immediately above says that you're not new to writing music.

I'm guessing that you are used to writing chord progressions, melodies, riffs, etc., but are just getting started on writing lyrics. If you are getting stuck writing lyrics, and are just starting to write lyrics, then my previous post applies.

Am I still mixed up?

• Members

Originally posted by xbs13

i am not new to writing music, just new to writing lyrics

If you are new to writing lyrics, my advice is sound. There is another thread going here, titled "Songwriting Jealousy" (sorry, I don't know how to link) that has a bunch of great advice for writing lyrics. Check it out.

Archived