Another 2 Songs. . . Crit Please. . .

Tullsterx

• Members

I'm tellin' you--you'll get a lot more response if you post on a streaming site. Downloading is not fun. I'm listening to Softly right now. The intro is well paced--the new elements come in at the right places. The falsetto harmonies are cool-they give the vocal a nice effect. The "lead" vocal is not quite strong enough. I'm not hearing a "hook"--everything is played well, and fits together nicely, but I have nothing to take from the song when it is done. I'd add either a catchy guitar riff or change the vocal melody into something more memorable. Other than that, its a great track.

• Members

Another Heart Breaks - very Ziggy Stardust. Which to me is a good thing. In the Ziggy vein, you might want to try a Mick Ronson style guitar sound (Les Paul - open wah - Marshall Stack turned up to 10).

On a technical note, the cymbal is too bright. Try cutting some of the high end on that instrument. There is a really electronic sounding tom in some of the drum fills, which sounds out of place with the rest of the drum kit. You also have ~30 seconds of silence at the end of the track.

And, as I've mentioned about some of your other stuff, the song goes on a little bit longer that it needs to (at the false ending at 4:54 I was quite ready for the song to be over). Suffragette City has a great false ending becuase it is not a long song and because the stop is rather unexpected (at a big rise in the music) and unwelcome (the band is totally rocking).

Softly - very STP. Which for me is an OK thing.

Start at :45, that is where the intro starts to pick up/get interesting and 1:00 is too long to make listeners wait to get to the first verse.

Turn down the cowbell at 1:38 and 2:55. Please. I love cowbell as much as Chris Walken, but this one is too loud.

Overall, I guess I agree with Chicken Monkey about the lack of a hook, but while I personally enjoy a good hook, I'm not sure that kind of hook is necessary for the style of music you play.

Cheers,

Archived