Please rate this folk-rock song !

eethier

• Members

I think it's got potential but it's still a "new" song. There are hesitations and pauses, if you practice the song for a while it will tighten up on it's own. Also, some of the lyrics run over. The singer will probably abbreviate these over time too. Keep at it, good start.

I could hear a good melody in there. Liked the tone on the lead electric guitar.

• Members

I'm not sure about the structure of the song--it sounds like there are four different sections stuck end-to-end, without anything repeating. That makes for a very hard-to-follow song, and it gives the listener nothing to remember the song by.

The backing track sounds good, and I really like the harmony vocals. The singer has a good voice, but I'd recommend dropping the falsettos--they don't gel with the rest of the vocal.

I kind of started with the bad news there, but I like the track. I don't know if it's folk-rock, but it's got a cool vibe to it.

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

I'm not sure about the structure of the song--it sounds like there are four different sections stuck end-to-end, without anything repeating. That makes for a very hard-to-follow song, and it gives the listener nothing to remember the song by.

I think that depends on what you're searching for.

I don't think he's going for a lite pop sing that everyone will like to listen.

anyways, about the song- this song is more like an Oasis or Radiohead kind of style. Not quite Folk rock.

Nice song though, Good rythem, nice lyrics.

Like someone allready said- it's a bit unstable right now, you need to sing a few times more, and then record it again, it will fix the deal.

About the processing- it needs more decoration. it's to simple to my opinion right now. but that's not important, because I'm now talking about the essence of the song.

that's all. Good Luck :)

• Members

Hi -

I will give a few comments here, though I am not so super experienced in songwriting per se (especially w/ words, being more of an instrumental kinda guy...) However, I have been involved with music for a long time, and I'm pretty heavy into production.

(End of disclaimer :D ) Annnnyway, I hear kind of a Wallflowers vibe, and my main comment is that I would like to hear the song with a full band, e.g. drums, bass, etc. I agree about the falsetto; I think that your voice has such a raw sound going for it that the falsetto parts don't really fit in (on the other hand, if you really want those high notes in there, it's gonna be tough...)

Finally, I do agree that the performance needs to be polished up a bit, but would also say (not to completely contradict myself or anything :D ) that the main thing the song has going for it is its raw quality. So, kinda "raw-and-polished" at the same time kinda thing... No, but seriously, I think there are many bands that have made a name on that kind of sound and vibe, you know, competent but real, and not over-polished.

• Members

Precision: its not my voice, I only do the sketchy backing vocals at the end :)

To give people an idea, this is the albums the singer listens to at the moment:

John Frusciante - Niandra Lades and Usually Just A T-Shirt

Iggy Pop & James Williamson - Kill City

Neil Young's first solo album

all incredible exemples of tightness :rolleyes: but still amazing songwriters...

on the other end my songs sound a little bit more polished :freak::wave:

Archived