That Morbid Angel sound

thinkpad20

• Members

Morbid Angel has a very unique guitar tone, from about Covenant onwards. Doesn't sound modern, doesn't sound 80s, just sounds "Morbid Angel." I was curious if anyone here knew how Trey gets that sound. It's not something I'd want for me, but I'm still interested.

• Members

Morbid Angel has a very unique guitar tone, from about Covenant onwards. Doesn't sound modern, doesn't sound 80s, just sounds "Morbid Angel." I was curious if anyone here knew how Trey gets that sound. It's not something I'd want for me, but I'm still interested.

I cant tell you how many times my albums/demos get compared to Morbid Angel's sound. I use a PV 5150 combo..

As far as I know Trey uses a Marshall JCM900 pushed with a ProCo Rat and he has a Rane EQ.. Thats it.. Oh and I heard he only uses Dimarzio PAF Pro's in the bridge of his gits.

• Members

Marshall JCM 900 100w head, 4100 i think, and a ProCo Rat ( as far as i remember it was the rackmount double one).

That has ben the core of Trey's sound for a long time..

he does use other tricks for some solos, Harmonizer, those expensive ones, a phaser, wah etc..

• Members

Marshall JCM 900 100w head, 4100 i think, and a ProCo Rat ( as far as i remember it was the rackmount double one).

That has ben the core of Trey's sound for a long time..

he does use other tricks for some solos, Harmonizer, those expensive ones, a phaser, wah etc..

both correct, plus he never runs the master volume above 4.

The Rane EQ is set flat with just a gain boost, (I think)

• Members

The Rane EQ is set flat with just a gain boost, (I think)

Really? I'm surprised. Maybe the Marshall's EQ would allow you to get that, because I can't imagine any amp sounding like that without some strange EQing. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

• Members

That sounds exactly like pushed Marshall tone. JCM900 with an EQ(which probably increases gain but tightens the lows). Easy. Pushed Marshalls have massive low mids, adding them through EQ does not work in general, its all about making those power tubes work.

• Members

On Covenant especially, it sounds almost as if the EQ settings were done with a regular 6 string guitar, then on songs like "Promised Land" a seven string was used without changing any settings. I cannot see how else they would get that moaning, pushed, low sound out of that equipment.

It's still crushing though, phenomenally so.

• Members

I don't remember what he had when I saw them live, because I wasn't really interested in amps at the time. I know it was some kind of Marshall (go figure). I remember they sounded pretty muddy; I imagine it would be really hard to get that kind of tone to sound anything but muddy live. Still kicked huge amounts of ass though. :rawk::rawk:

• Members

"He uses the very common Marshall JCM900 100 watt amplifier with 1960's cabinet in stereo. His equalizer settings are set at the following: Gain 10, Treble 4, Middle 5, Bass 7, and Presence 6. He has the very expensive Eventide H3000S and Quadraverb running through the effects loop of the amps. For his rhythm tone he uses Rat Distortion and a Rane Eq. His floor effects include MXR Flanger, MXR Phaser, Analog Delay, and Uni Vibe Chorus.

While recording Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, they used many recording techniques in the studio to obtain their sound. Trey used a variety of combinations of techniques from his Mic-Ing Technologies Inc. Tech. Some of their more famous techniques include Wind Rift, Xposetron Probe E7A, and the Anti-Vacuum Culture.

The Wind Rift is a process of using an industrial size fan between the cabinet and the mic. He used a SM58 mic with a windscreen and had the airflow traveling away from the microphone. Trey did this in the 2nd solo section of "Prayer".

The Xposetron technique uses a metal mixing bowl with a hole cut in the center and a microphone placed there. This creates a sparkling effect in the high frequencies and a complex structure in the sub-harmonics. This technique was used in "Heaving Earth".

Last but not least, there is an Anti-Vacuum Culture Technique which requires an SM58 microphone with a glass bubble placed tightly over it, sealing it, and then placing the structure close to the cabinet's speaker. With this technique you must increase the trim on the board since no external sound waves reach the mic. All it will pick up are the sound waves that vibrate through the glass. Trey, used this technique in the "Nothing Is Not" solo as well as the last solo in "U Mu La Mah Ri"(The Bubbly Bong Hit Solo.) "

hope this helps...

Archived