Amp tech in Austin to do Marshall Master Volume Mod

type2guy

• Members

Bill @ Austin Vintage Guitars. (512) 428-9100. Problem is he'll take a week or two, which may not work for you.

If your '71 is stock, I'd recomend leaving it that way and getting another amp. Like a jmp or 800 that already has a master. If its already been modded in some way, go for it.

• Members

If your '71 is stock, I'd recomend leaving it that way and getting another amp.

I politely disagree.

All you have to do to the guts of the amp to install a PPIMV mod is to unsolder two connections.

If you then install the new volume pot into an already existing hole in the chassis (lower right front jack is where i put mine) the two solder joints are all that you have actually altered, and that is easily reversible.

And it sounds good too :)

• Members

Jon @ Tonecraft Amp Repair has same-day service. There is also another board member in Austin who CAN do it, but I'll leave that up to him to respond.

- WOT

Jons the man, he did some work on my jcm2000 when I lived there a year or so ago.

I was living in the apartment across the street from his shop over the old Forsgai guitar shop....

Good times...

45th and northloop...:lol:

• Members

Chris Forshage is the only one I'll let refret my guitars/basses. He is in Pflugerville now.

- WOT

Yup old family friend for many many years. Ill helped him move into the new shop in Pflugs right before I moved back to AZ.

If you know him you probably know my brother Chris, the other Chris!

• Members

Well, I actually live in San Angelo, TX...which is 3.5 hours from Austin. I looked up info on the master volume mod on the net and just decided to do it myself. Did the PPIMV. Cost me $5 for the parts. Seems to have worked great. Will be able to practice with the (new to me) '71 Marshall now. Gonna be fun!!!

p.s. Before the mod, I played the amp for maybe 6 minutes and my ears rang for over an hour afterwards. And I LIKE loud guitars!!!

• Members

Well, I actually live in San Angelo, TX...which is 3.5 hours from Austin. I looked up info on the master volume mod on the net and just decided to do it myself. Did the PPIMV. Cost me $5 for the parts. Seems to have worked great. Will be able to practice with the (new to me) '71 Marshall now. Gonna be fun!!!

p.s. Before the mod, I played the amp for maybe 6 minutes and my ears rang for over an hour afterwards. And I LIKE loud guitars!!!

Good call, enjoy ... :thu:

Archived