Help with writing vocals

itstartsstoppin

• Members

I am a guitar player but have recently started a little solo project to try my hand at making a cd (just for fun for the most part).

I am having a little trouble with writing vocals, as i am pretty new at it. I am trying very hard to get out of the rutt of the last word of every 2 lines rhyming but i am having trouble writing a melody and lyrics that flow well without doing that. Any suggestions.

Also, do you usually come up with lyrics or a melody first?

Thanks.

• Members

Practice, Practice, Practice... that's really my best advice-sad I know but the more you practice the better you will get and the easier words will come.

as for music or lyrics first check this other thread out...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1350936

good luck, make sure you post the results on here.

• Members

I have written words before the music and vice versa.....

Personally, what I have found to be the best method is... I write ideas and snippets down all the time as good stuff comes up. Then I might kinda get a theme going around a subject... I might have several (up to 4 or 5) of these going at any one time. As I come up with good riffs or hooks that are beggin for some words, I will dip into my "works in progress" and see how they might fit. I will ALWAYS have to make adjustments from how I originally wrote the words to make them fit or pace with the music better.

Also... get some sort of small recorder to catch those music ideas. I couldn't tell you how many great song ideas I have forgotten. :freak:

Archived